BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just watching the new fly fisher.... i could not believe my eyes.. these guys were fishing for great lake steelhead bottom bouncing with a fly rod, fly line..leader, pencil lead, then a tandem fly setup. why not just use a drift rod. Can't believe these guys call this fly fishing.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
HA HA HA thats hilarious !!!!!! cant wait till i see the article on the cover of a magazine so more people try it :-\ :-\ this sounds rediculous I saw a few guys doing this for pinks in the Squamish at first i thought they had CP's but after watching them a bit further they both had flyrods ::) pretty screwed up if ya ask me. just another way for someone to "cheat" at a fishing technique :-X

next we will see guys on TV shows using the ******* technique of TNT then just netting them up :happy: :confused:

·
Banned
87 Posts
Speaking of the tnt than net the fish thing.A month or so ago I took a walk to admire the morons at stave fishing.Stumbled apon some guy with a net just scooping fish and checking to see if they had roe(already had one bonked) now HE took things to far lol took a nice dip in the spawning channel, hopfully he learnt.I can laugh about it today though.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Eric said:
just watching the new fly fisher.... i could not believe my eyes.. these guys were fishing for great lake steelhead bottom bouncing with a fly rod, fly line..leader, pencil lead, then a tandem fly setup. why not just use a drift rod. Can't believe these guys call this fly fishing.

I'm sure they got a more than their share of hate mail after that episode. :p

Finder ;)

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Gary Cooper trolls the salt using a Sage flyrod with a downrigger and monofilament loaded up on his Islander reel. I personally wouldn't subject any of my flyrods to downrigger work with mono...the salt and the constant tight tension on the monofilament must wear through those poor chrome snake guides fairly quickly. There are lots of lighter, or maybe even custom mooching rods out there that will flex just as nice as a 9wt flyrod...but have the proper ceramic eyes that can take the abuse. The LX3.6 reel I can understand, because it's probably a lot lighter than many of the large mooching reels out there...and the machined and anodised aluminum doesn't care what it's loaded with.

To each their own, I guess...I don't have corporate sponsors giving me gear, so I have to take good care of my own. ;D

·
Registered
148 Posts
Eric said:
I might have seen that show a month or 2 ago.
Eric.... did they use strike indicators or "floats" ???
In there defence, they were using flies, flylines and fly reels. Unlike Gary with the Sage, mono, downrigger and a fly or cut plug.
My :2cents:

·
Premium Member
4,449 Posts
great lake steelhead bottom bouncing with a fly rod, fly line..leader, pencil lead, then a tandem fly setup
Are you sure they were using pencil lead? Bottom bouncing for steelhead on the Great Lakes Tributaries is a completely different situation that bb for salmon on our local flows. In my opinion it is not unethical only unusual in the traditional fly fishing folklore. And someone mentioned poachers? C'mon. This show is probably one of the best shows dedicated to fly fishing out there featuring Brian Chan, Phil Rowley et al. And furthermore, I too troll big lake and salt with fly rods. A 9 weight fly rod works great with a mooching reel or centerpin!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Don't knock it till you try it. ??? Prior to getting a pin set-up I used an old 8 weight glass(yellow) fly rod(home made fighting butt added) 7/8 Diawa fly reel and floating line with sink tip and mono leader. I called it my "poor boy pin". I used it strip casting style either float fishing in close or bouncing roe.It was a very sensitive rig and bites were easily detected. It was awkward to fish with but accounted for some nice fish including coho to 10# and it's biggest prize a 13+# chrome rocket of a Chilliwack steelhead :happy:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.