BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Laid down the dough for a Purple Haze Tomic plug today-not cheap!
It's a 7" I thought 'Go Big or Go Home'
Funny to see it in different light it's quite translucent here in my place but in the store it looked solid Purple.
Can't wait to see it underwater!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
hey when fishing plugs you use no flasher?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
so how far back does one fish with a plug?from the downrigger wire i mean?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Twenty or more feet... as far as you can without getting tangled in other people lines. I would also consider changing the hook as the one they come with is not the best one.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
are plugs like the one mentioned worth a try around vancouver? maybe a lil smaller?

·
Registered
172 Posts
The farther back you go, the more the water the plug covers. I put 'er back 50+ feet usually around here.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have love hate relation ship with plugs... love their action nothing moves better. But there expensive and hard to find in stores. Little fish (7lb and less) tend to fall off easy. I have had a real hard time tailing fish with them... the turn tend to leaver the plug out of the fishes mouth. And the no flasher thing.
I ran out of anchovie at the Cap last year and put on tubby tomic white body, yellow top, and black scale on the back bone. Had on fish on the anchovie for three hour work and lost 3 on the tomic in less than an hour... two lost at the boat trying to tail them. Stuck with the achovies after that. This winter - Jan 2nd - I went out for 2 hours had three good hits but the 6 inch #602 was to big for the fish to take or that is my thought.
However, I think I am going to run them more often with a teaser flasher between the plug on the bottom and anchovie above. I also think since the plug dive it could be running right on the bottom when fished with a 40' back from the clip... and possilby with fish like at the Cap - itching to spawn - making them think its a cutty foraging for eggs... just a thought.
Oh yeahk, there is the no flasher thing too, the two I got a Cap - both 20+lb springs - jumped... may have been from a seal lurking but the fight is better with no flasher.
Have fun, Jason

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Awesome guys..... :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
I always enjoy a fisherman's scheming :D . Maybe that's why plugs catch fish in the river, eh Big Jay?
In my experience a trebel hook on a smaller plug is an effective way to keep fish hooked, for no other reason than it often gets more hook into fish. But you've got to do it like you mean it, 'cuz catch and release is not treble hook friendly. Nor are rivers for that matter.
Bring on the schemes :!:

·
Registered
770 Posts
WaterWalkin' where are you fishin?

WaterWalkin' said:
The farther back you go, the more the water the plug covers. I put 'er back 50+ feet usually around here.

50 feet back is excessive unless you're fishing close to the surface...but many anglers fish 50 feet back and very successfully....make sure there are no other boats around either...as when you turn..your plug will "hang" on the tight side of your turning arc and you can get riggered if there are people in close quarters...I was fishing off the mouth of the Fraser and I inadvertently riggered a guy..luckily he had rigged his plugs as sliders and they popped up and he got them back. I asked him how back he was..and he said "far" and realized his mistake and apologized..I was 65 feet away from him in tight with a pack of boats fishing the Middle Arm and we were all making passes off the drop off........otherwise..30 feet should be more than enough if you're fishing the right speed in tight among other boats. Most commercial dudes don't go 50 feet back...but I've fished 'em 50 feet back and they like it far back on some days.....and it's lots of fun when they hit!

:)

fish on!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
yeah what he said!

·
Registered
172 Posts
A guy would be hard pressed to have more than half a dozen boats around him where I fish, so I agree completely on tight conditions. I know some people may not be able to fish so freely. A few old timers here (who outfish everyone) go back as far as 100 feet. One guy I always saw in an older bright green aluminun boat, ( I called him the green apple for 2 years before I ever had the chance to talk to him) would always, always outfish everyone. If it was mid summer and slow as heck, he'd catch 2. If it was hot and everyone was catching 2-3 he'd catch 5. I was tired of wathcing the hogs he'd bring in on a regular basis. He always snipped his presentation off before he came in. I am amazed at how eager some older fellows are to "pass on" the things they learned over time that I would have spent a lifetime to learn myself. Sometimes helping a guy load his boat or anything small can go a long way, even friendly conversation. I learned a lot from this guy and have increased my catch numbers at least 100% with a few tips from him.
As far as plugs go, we cut our steel wire line loops and drill a hole 1/8" further back in the nose to make the plug dive deeper and swim with more action. A lo of guys use elastics but the angle of the hole is most important. We fish at 180-200 feet here and the plug is never more than 25 feet above the release clip. I was skeptical about this but I watched the action of one on a downrigger camera during an early spring fish when the water was clear and since then have become a believer, and have had great success. Besides, it's not fun if a guy isn't learning and experimenting to better his "attack" and knowledge of these chrome beauties we spend so much time (and money!) pursuing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts