BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
In high dirty water, fish will take the path of least resistance and cling close to shore in obvious resting spots.
I seek out splits and side channels and thats all I'm saying, 1- 2 feet vis on the Vedder means NO ANGLERS and resting aggressive and unwary fish, some of my best days have come in these circumstances and this season should have many.
Although nothing beats sight fishing steel in low crystal clear flows, the other condition that keeps most at home , WEEEEEEEE.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
It would be interesting to hear the stats on the winners from the last few years....Anyone have that info?
I know there aren't many fish taken each year, but usually there is a handful...

I agree that it can be easier to find fish in high, dirty water...What Ironhead said just about covers it. Many a day I've arrived at the river to find it in these conditions. It is not as enjoyable as fishing the deep green flows and clear water we all associate with steelhead season, but it can be very productive. You don't have to cover as much water, but you do cover more ground...just concentrate on any and all available spots where the fish can get out of the main current and if you don't get anything within a few drifts move on the the next spot...these spots are usually small in area and right next to shore...

Still, I think I would prefer some medium to low water levels for boxing day, there's going to be a lot of new water to fish up there. Many of the pools have changed considerably, and I need to do some exploring...it'll be a lot easier to re-learn the river if conditions allow a visual inspection of bottom structure, etc...not to mention if I get skunked, which is a good chance this early in the season, it would at least be nice to be able to fish some decent looking water, and make some mental notes on how the river has changed...

Just for curiosities sake...with respect to the start of winter what is the earliest date people here have hooked and landed steelhead in the vedder? My record is not so good, it was December 31st, it was 1990, and I had put a bunch of time in over several days, with nothing to show for it...until mid morning new years eve day...I have heard of fish taken as early as october? But not sure how reliable that info is...
Rib

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
He'll never forget that moment and it will probably torment him for a long time. This gentlemen was right
in the first place and just made a mistake, like you said" it happens." Marko..... :D

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
In 2001, I caught what I would estimate to be a 10lb doe on November 2..I clearly recall the day, not only because it is my birthday( I fish every year on this day) but because I hooked several chrome coho this day also. She was a beauty and took to the air like a rocket on three separate occaisions. When she finally came to rest on the beach she did a nice little roll, spat the hook, and slid back into the river, sparing me having to bend over and release her..That is the earliest on the Vedder. I have caught steelhead in another lower mainland stream in October as recently as last year.............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bugs?

Im usually a roe guy, I catch and tie my own spawn bags. I use nothing else, I do this beacuse I comfortable and confident in using what I know. Last year I watched a couple of guys using "Bugs" at wilsons and they cleaned up! Could some one explain to me (I know Im not the only) how to set up a bug rig. Do you spider wire these bugs on a spoon?

Cohopk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.