BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried the Brad's baits? I purchased a couple last spring and gave them a try but was slipping and sliding in the boat when I tried to use the tuna and oil mix. What a mess!!! I wonder if trying again would be worth the effort. I must admit that I did not separate the tuna from the oil.

·
Registered
708 Posts
try cutting a piece of anchovy to fit. Use scissors instead of a knife to get the job done. They were fished at QCL last year and worked well. Had pictures sent to me of coho's and chinooks from wcvi that fell to these lures. Even had a fly fishing buddy from work try them 'rigger trolling this past summer and he caught fish on them. I would most likley pass on the tuna deal though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks will give it a try. Are flashers used or is it better to go without them. I was going to use some canned mackeral I picked up at Asian store, but thought it too would present problems. What colors were they using? Would like to go without the flasher if possible as it would give a more exciting fight.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Pippen,
Yes I was referring to Brad's Super baits. It was actually kind of of funny seeing me slipping and sliding in the boat. I had heard some good reports from some that had used them. Would like to try them again, but need to rethink the "tuna dip".

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Is the tuna/oil mixture a recipe they include with instructions/package insert or is it an actual product that they sell. I didn't see any "scent" type products listed on their site?

·
Registered
45 Posts
i saw some guy on youtube stuffing that lure with tuna , anchovies might make more sense for us around here youd think. i heard they,v had alot of luck with these up in the q.c. last year

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know it sounds wierd but the tuna in oil works the best in my opinion. I usually fish them with a dummy flasher and clipped on the cable above.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you keep from getting oil all over the boat. When I tried using the tuna & oil it was a mess! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
770 Posts
What's wrong with all the regular hoochies and spoons and other plugs?!

·
Registered
5 Posts
What's wrong with all the regular hoochies and spoons and other plugs?!
I have no argument to using the regular spoons, hootchies and plugs 1st. However, there have been days that we've had real good success with the Brad's Cut Plugs. I haven't tried the new 3" ones yet but I've heard they look real good in the water. I think the smaller ones would be great for winters and Coho.

On the question of the tuna oil being messy and how to keep from getting it all over; I don't think there's any magical way. I just fill the Brad's over my tuna container and try to be careful.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Pro Cure has a bunch of new Tuna based gels and oils out now. Might be a little cheaper buying that than going through cans of Tuna packed in Oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Pilchards can also be cut to size with scisors. I like to goop the Pilchard meat with Pro Cure Pilchard oil. We has good success with the cut plugs in the Columbia the year and I'm pretty excited about giving them a go during the Sproat Loggers Derby in March.

·
Registered
708 Posts
here is another sucess story from this past summer sent to the guys that make the Super Cut plug

Hi. just a quick note to let you know about the experience I ( we ) my wife Karen and myself had using you super cut plugs. First I would like you to know that never in my life have I ever taken the time to write to a manufacture about their product good or bad. I own almost as many lures etc as the average sport shop as I have been fishing all my life. In the spring of 2010 at a sportsmens show in Spokane Washington, I purchased 2 Brads super cut plugs plus one package of 2 plugs without the hook ups . I did so at the recommendation of a man that was selling wrap for rod handles and overheard me tell someone We have a place in the Queen Charlotte Islands. He said I just had to try your plugs. My wife and I went to our place on the Charlottes Last week in July. The first day on the water I set Karens rod up with a super cut plug. We had not trolled 100 feet when she had a strike and landed a spring salmon that was just under 30 lbs. I put the plug back in the water and started to troll again. Before I could get my rig set up Karens reel screamed again and she had a fish fight of her live. After being spooled twice she landed the spring salmon 54 lbs. The salmon bit the plug in half and I told Karen I was going to ask for warranty as that particular plug only caught 2 salmon. We had a good laugh and I stopped the boat and hooked up my own rod as the plug worked so good I would never get my rod in the water . We continued to fish with a super cut plug on both lines and had our limit of salmon in no time at all. We fished for 5 days on our trip this year and caught limits of spring (chinook), salmon also limits of coho and pinks. We caught Halibut and rockfish all on the super plugs. The only lure or bait we used was your super cut plugs with a fillet of anchovy. I do have pictures of the fish we caught and could send you some if you want. We had some impressive fish as we ended up with 2 springs over 50 lbs. I just wanted you to know that your super cut plug is the best salt water lure We have ever used. thanks for your time. Alan and Karen

·
Registered
252 Posts
Found them at Wholesale Sports for $8.50 a pop so I bought 2. I sure hope they don"t break at that price! The Blue Hawaiian makes a nice Pilchard imitation after re-rigging hooks and doctoring it up with a sharpy.

You can see how nice they roll in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61lS8x8XSVE

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts