BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a new hot pink Islander for my wife for Christmas.
Thinking about running braid with a top shot of mono rather than straight braid.
Anyone use braid for trolling salmon?
Was thinking of 60 pound.
Should I fill it right up with braid or put backing underneath?
Was going to run 75' of 30 pound mono as a top shot so I will be clipping into the mono.

Any thoughts would be appreceated.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Lots of folks do it. Most backing material is in fact braid so load it up, unless there is such a thing as backing that is not a super line/braid. Pretty sure you would want to keep line to line knots to a minimum. Hope this makes sense?

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Lots of folks do it. Most backing material is in fact braid so load it up, unless there is such a thing as backing that is not a super line/braid. Pretty sure you would want to keep line to line knots to a minimum. Hope this makes sense?
Having re read your question, I think you might be referring specifically to fly line backing, which is a braid so to speak, but thicker than say Power Pro.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am thinking I may want to fill the reel up a bit with Dacron first so I don't end up with 500 yards of Power Pro.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been using 65 lb braid on my mr2s and mr3s for over 15 years now. 65 lb only be cause you need the thickness to stay in the release clip. I find using mono is like using an elastic band now.... Braid cost more but seems to last 6+ years with no problems. I keep mono on one reel for the kids and newbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been using 65 lb braid on my mr2s and mr3s for over 15 years now. 65 lb only be cause you need the thickness to stay in the release clip. I find using mono is like using an elastic band now.... Braid cost more but seems to last 6+ years with no problems. I keep mono on one reel for the kids and newbies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thannks

I think I will try it but with a 50' shot of mono on top.
We fish regularly at 280 plus and at that depth it is hard to see the bite because of the stretch.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
It will be a blast to fish with you and Kev and your wives again this summer...and to see the gals out-fish you! (again)

Good on you for getting her that Pinkie....Sid bought Leigh one, and it looks very cool.
You won't be fishing anywhere near that deep up there. Did you get two spools?

·
Registered
313 Posts
While I dont run Islanders any more I have been running a similar style reel (penn international 4 fly reels) with braid for 5 years now.
I run JB hollow core 130# for a couple reasons,
1) Its about the same diameter as 30# mono so it fills the reel nicely with 275yrds + 30yrd top shot of 30#
2) The extra thickness allows it to hold nicely in the clips if I'm ever long lining or the topshot gets chopped short.
3) One of the nice attributes of hollow core is it allows for seamless no not connections to the topshot, I carry a couple extra topshots and if I destroy one its a simple loop to loop connection and away I go.
4) Hollow core allows you to splice on a new section if by chance you damage some of it at 100% of its breaking strength (not that you need it with 130# test but……) without knots.
Win win IMO not changing out mono every year other than winding on a new topshot

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Went with 100 yds 30 pound dacron backing, 250 yds 65 pound Power Pro green, 80 feet 30 pound Berkely Big Game.
Will see how it works out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts