BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had one level wind spooled with fireline at army navy 2 weeks ago. got a small tangle in line while trying to undo with my fingers i noticed the braid was starting to unravel. with the line loose like that it seems the only thing i can do is cut it out. am going to call a/n wed. was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with this type of braid line? i had been using power pro purchased on the spool with no issues. but buying it by bulk seemed the better way to go.having it bulk spooled seemed the better way ,instead of having left over line. seems maybe i made another expensive mistake.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I seem to be seeing more and more braid line these days on other systems other than the Fraser. Try mono for float/spinner fishing. You will find it may handle much more easily, esp with birds nests. It will not unravel as it is single core.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Not all braid is created equal.

Fireline is one of the upper level lines, the new one with 6 strands rivals Ultracast and Sufix.
No comparison with Daiwa Samurai.

Properly adjusted brakes are the solution with braids.
I use braid only, never mono - but for trout - 6lbs.

Which Fireline is yours? Model, test?

·
Registered
260 Posts
like many on the vedder this yr, I like to use the fluorescent yellow braid in gin-clear water. super-stealthy.

......ssheeessh people, go buy some maxima ultra-green already.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Norm they'll soon be telling you that you are using the wrong type of bait, boat, rod... I don't have any experience with Fireline, I use either Tuff line XP or power pro (for sturgeon in the muddy fraser ofcourse) and neither has ever given me a problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
like many on the vedder this yr, I like to use the fluorescent yellow braid in gin-clear water. super-stealthy.

......ssheeessh people, go buy some maxima ultra-green already.
Could not have said it better myself. No need for braid in any river other than the Fraser. Braid is for beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeks.........

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Are one of your guide inserts missing? braided line wears down guide inserts like sandpaper would on wood! maybe the metal from the guide is rubbing on the line!

Had it happen twice this year :p

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for giving me some info and some things to check out. i guess the peanut gallery always has something to say.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Norm they'll soon be telling you that you are using the wrong type of bait, boat, rod... I don't have any experience with Fireline, I use either Tuff line XP or power pro (for sturgeon in the muddy fraser ofcourse) and neither has ever given me a problem.
Soo true grumpy.

Use what you feel like at the time.

Have fun.

Be a good person.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I spooled up with a 50lb braid for sockeye season. Worked great in the Fraser hucking 2oz weights.
It sucked in the other rivers when lightly weighted float fishing. Having the free spool breaking set properly was key to not birds nesting. Problem is I had to help the free spool dish out line in slower flows with the breaking set for braid casting.
Switched back over to the old standby ultragreen 20lb and what a huge difference. Way smoother all around.

·
Registered
260 Posts
......ssheeessh maxima ultra-green is wayyyyy overrated.... just sayin.
The general message i was trying to convey was to stop the migration of braided line over to the Vedder/Chwk from the Fraser River sockeye season. I wasn't really trying to advertise a brand of mono-filament....we all have our opinions. Through many years of fishing with Maxima UG, it's general perfomance and reliability have made it my personal favourite. Use what allows you to fish with confidence.....just sayin.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
went to army navy thursday morning showed them my problem. they exchanged my line with power pro at no charge, thats what i call good service!will stay with power pro, should have to begin with.for those of you who worry all the time about braided line i use no more than 20lb leaders for chum.it should not matter what line you choose to use it is how you use it. some folks may prefer 6lb test line who knows.lets just go fishing and respect the resource we have. show others alternate ways of fishing.my son and i do real well for chums each fall. we use bent rod jigs short leaders no more than 24 inches. we donot tell people how to fish but they sure take notice when we out fish everyone around us. i am sure this will sink into some. others will carry on as they do,but who has more fun? thanks again!

·
Registered
708 Posts
if you have a bright colored braid on your reel, you can always re-color it with a black or other dark colored felt marker pen. Just do the first 10' and re apply as needed. Works well if you are scared of any brightly colored braid in clear water.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Sounds good norm. I guess I'm sounding a bit righteous about my stance on braid on the Vedder but here was the issue i experienced the other day.
3 guys from what i witnessed fairly new to fishing. We were plugging away prior to their arrival having great fun catching and releasing Chinook. They proceeded to start fishing with us.....no problem under normal circumstances right? We're all there to enjoy the resource etc etc. But these guys were all spooled with that bright yellow braid and they were running it UNDER there floats, right down to the swivel/leader. The Vedder is gin-clear right now so you can imagine how the bite turned off in that run once a few passes with this neon yellow stuff went through. So my point would echo yours.....yes, fish how you like and who am I to tell you how to fish. BUT when it starts affecting the enjoyment of many others who are in the immediat location, well there we've got a bit of a problem and there is the reason for my response to this post. The rest of us on that piece of water that day kind of just shook our heads and moved on to another run. One without spooked fish as a result of bright yellow braid dredging through it.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Almost took a spill today on what appeared to be 20# mono but I could break it.
A few submerged spiderwebs of braid will definitely make it interesting when the water colors.

If you're going to use braid use it as a backing, You can splice in a 100 yards of mono on top and switch when your fishing venue changes.
Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
260 Posts
Almost took a spill today on what appeared to be 20# mono but I could break it.
A few submerged spiderwebs of braid will definitely make it interesting when the water colors.

If you're going to use braid use it as a backing, You can splice in a 100 yards of mono on top and switch when your fishing venue changes.
Just my 2 cents
I had some discarded braid wrap around my waist and latch on to the buckle of my wading belt this yr. A length of it was streaming in the current off a log. Made me stumble a bit, and no, it didn't break. Fortunately, as it began to dig into my waders my buckle popped open and i was free.

Your advice about using it as backing is bang on.

I guess another problem with the stuff is it's biodegradability. Studies have been conducted by folks much smarter than me and the bottom line is it simply does not break down over time like mono. I accept that guys are going to use it but offer a respectful reminder to pack out any braid that you peel off your reel while out on the water........ for both safety and enviro reasons.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts