BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brigantine Marine in Langley will be closing its doors as of the end of November. A combination of poor summer weather with fewer boating plus an economy where discretionary income was down meant we can’t continue. Frankly, we can’t afford the costs needed to carry us across the winter season.

So for November we will be selling stock at 40 percent off. Come in, the coffee is still free and there’s a lot of stuff cheap.

Our upholstery/canvas division will still continue but at another address. I’ll let everyone one know, through this site, where that will be.

On a personal note, it’s been a most interesting seven years. I have met and enjoyed some exceptionally nice people. I have thoroughly enjoyed talking boats with fellow boaters and chatted on fishing ‘stuff’. Our suppliers have been partners and have bent over backwards to make sure what we needed was on time and priced right. Nice people.

However, where the rubber meets the road, the costs of continuing exceed income and no business can continue that way. No other way to put it: deep pockets only go so far.

It’s been fun.

MichaelR

·
Registered
513 Posts
Sorry to hear the news Michael. Thanks for the last 7 years. Best of luck with your future plans.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Crap, that is too bad, this has happened to you good folks twice now I believe? Good to hear your custom canvas/ covers section is still at it as I've had many people tell me you do great work.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
I think a lot of people who rely on people spending discretionary income are in the same boat, Michael. Sorry to hear the recession is affecting you. This last year has been my worst on record. Let's hope something improves soon.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
Yup sorry to hear, times are tough fo me too I only used my boat 5 times this year. :(
I hear you, and with fewer people using and buying and therefore needing less service its got to be tough on the boat businesses. Ditto for other recreational vehicles I imagine too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BGM:

It hasn’t been a good year for many enterprises and overhead costs are relentless. Making any profit has been a problem as buyers curtail their spending on discretionary activities and, as you pointed out, it’s not limited to boating.

And there’s a point where even cost reduction in a business doesn’t work. Our suppliers worked with us on just-in-time buying so we could reduce inventory but that can only go so far. Because we weren’t buying stock they had goods backed up in their warehouses and many of our suppliers laid off staff.

If I had the means I would continue Brigantine. Through it I have met some really nice people. Lordy, there’s been some good laughs and some outrageous tales about catching fish. I will miss that most of all. Occasionally we’d be tipped with a case of beer but remembered is when one customer brought in several nice salmon which ended up in a staff BBQ. That sort of thing. Fishers are nice people.

Life goes on and memories sustain but deep down I will really miss Brigantine.

MichaelR

·
Registered
122 Posts
sorry to hear as well. it sucks when you actually like your job and then to have it taken out of your hands after trying so hard and so long to make it last.

i do not own a boat and probably never will so i've probably never met you (although you never know, it's a pretty darn small world) but from what it sounds like, you are a great guy to deal with so karma will take care of you. you've earned a reputation and will get the respect you deserve out there i'm sure.

also i know it sounds lame but i truly believe everything happens for a reason.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ribwart and 1derboy:

What do I do from here? When I first retired eight years ago I got terminally bored – that boredom of dust settling on shoulders and started up Brigantine because not only liking boats I needed to do something other than puttering in the garden and I hate gardening. And, as Elly put it, “I married you for better or worse but not for lunch.”

For 30 years I owned and ran an international consulting company – clients in 22 countries, that sort of thing and thoroughly enjoyed it but I literally had no time for myself and at 65 said enough. I needed me time. I created Brigantine because although I knew the business of business I had no experience in retail; it seemed the perfect opportunity to learn that side of business, I don’t regret making that decision since, in the eight years of Brigantine, I had that ‘me time’ interacting with some fine, fine people coming through the doors. As I said before, that I will miss.

1derboy, about karma. What goes around comes around. I have a sign on my desk: ‘panic is contagious, so is calm’. Reasonable creates reasonability; defensiveness creates defensiveness. Project what you want to come back to you. Kindness is not weakness.

Years ago I wrote, if honesty did not exist it would be invented as the best way to make money. That was a motto at Brigantine. Screw the customer and you screw yourself and, because we believed that, our customer retention rate was virtually 100 percent. Of that I am most proud.

So now I’m 73 and sort of at odds what I do next yet ideas don’t stop because you hit a certain age. But you can be damn sure it won’t be pulling up weeds.

Thanks for the kind words.

MichaelR

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
...What goes around comes around. I have a sign on my desk: ‘panic is contagious, so is calm’. Reasonable creates reasonability; defensiveness creates defensiveness. Project what you want to come back to you. Kindness is not weakness.

Years ago I wrote, if honesty did not exist it would be invented as the best way to make money. That was a motto at Brigantine. Screw the customer and you screw yourself and, because we believed that, our customer retention rate was virtually 100 percent. Of that I am most proud...
A poignant reminder of how things used to be MichaelR, and of how they should still be...very well said. Unfortunately this is a perspective and a code that seems an increasingly rare find in people these days. It is a testament to your character, and the businesses that you ran.

Props to you, and best of luck with your future ventures.

:cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the pleasure of working with MichaelR for the last few years of Brigantine as the parts and service manager, best boss ever. The last couple of years have changed much including the passing of this incredible man.

Valerie and my self have now opened our own company called Bitchin Stitchin Upholstery and Canvas, this name MichaelR would truly appreciate.
We are located on the Surrey Langley border on an acreage. Feel free to contact us for any project you may have at 778-549-0792 of at [email protected]

Miss you MichealR thanks for all the laughs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts