BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good brine for smoking rainbow trout? I have used the basic brine from the big chief recipe book, but I am looking for something a little more interesting. I have also thrown my trout in with my salmon brine, but that turned out horrible (lucky that some people in my family will eat anything) I know that with the oils being different in rainbow trout than in salmon the brine needs to be different as well. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
338 Posts
The proprietor of a very rustic interion lodge brined a batch of rainbows for me in straight brown sugar. Only time I ever tried to smoke trout. Got to go... TSA (the stamp awaits). :D

·
Registered
43 Posts
The brine that I like the best is very simple--all I do is mix 1/3 coarse salt to 2/3 brown sugar--the amount that you mix of coarse depends on the amount of fish that you are going to smoke--sprinkle lightly on all surfaces of the fish and lay out in a glass dish or something like a roasting pan--I often use large zip lock bags--put the fish in the fridge overnite or at least 8 hours--take the fish out in the morning and rinse the fish off--there will be a lot of liquid--lay the fish out on paper towels--pat off as much excess liquid as possible--sprinkle what ever kind of spice that you like on the fish such as onion powder or garlic--soy sauce is also nice--but you can put on anything that you like--in about a hour when the fish takes on a sheen put in the smoker with the thickest pieces closest to the hot plate--and there you go--very simple--the mixture for the salt and sugar can be varied to taste --some people like their fish salty,some like it sweet--this is by far the easiest and best brine that I have ever used..

harley

1 - 3 of 3 Posts