BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody got some suggestions for the perfect brining formula to keep herring/anchovies perfect for the weekend?...Heading to Port Hardy on Wed. for a week...........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys........I am leaving next week and when I get to P/H I will be sending down a report... ;)..I am going to log every fish so I remember what I caught them on..............Ortho 8)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Read this on another forum and tried it our recently. It worked great!! Best looking firm anchovies I ever had and they stayed very firm and lasted several days. You may want to try out the wet/dry brine.

"...your best bet is to do a liquid brine followed by a dry brine - more than likely you have re-frozen a pack that was not totally used up on your last trip...nothing wrong with that as long as you cure them sooner than later. [bait companies won't want me to tell you how to save your bait - but it is possible] I have about 100 freezer burned packs of bait that I put thru a process to bring them back to usable baitfish. Hmmm maybe I'll write a book about it! LOL

Yes, simply brine your bait for about three to five hours in liquid brine and then pack into a layered dry brine. Keep cool, do not freeze."

"The advantage to using a wet brine is that the salt cure and other agents used in the formulas [scent,uv,other] allow for the ingredients to absorb into the bait for a fully cured end result. The dry salt brine pulls the excess moisture out of the baitfish, but because the bait was pre-cured, I have not had any issues with it being too dried - in fact the process that I use also saves what is known as normally un-usable or shot, ie. freezer burned or end of trip uncured baitfish into usable bait that catches in most conditions."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just got back from the west coast and using the brine described at salmon university.com. Not sure which ingredient makes the difference, but the was a definite increase in the hits on the side where we used that brine versus just salting.

I would definitely recommend using it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.