BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at meeting last night and MoE gave a presentation on the importance of Brohm creek to the steelhead population there. This development will destroy the river and it's steelhead population in the end if it goes through. Check out the huge number of homes and right now the want to get all the drinking water from the creek. The average summer flow is .36 of a cubic meter. anyone living in the Squamish area needs to go to any public meetings that they have on this and learn just how bad it will be. Just another nail in the coffin for wild steelhead in region 2

www.garibaldiatsquamish.com

· Registered
3,378 Posts
I am unaware of any significant populations of steelhead in Brohm Creek. I am aware of the need for a good supply of drinking water, but there are other small systems that seem to be a little closer in and would likely suffice. I'm also not so sure about the "nail in the coffin" theory. The Squamish returns have been relatively good so far as these fish are presently entering the system. The Checkamus, from what I read a few weeks ago is recovering much faster than anyone anticipated, and their are quite a few fish in the system, inspite of the low water conditions. We will have to wait one more year to see how the salmon runs have been affected.....Where can I read more on this?......Ortho 8)

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Brohm is one of the few productive spawning tribs for the cheak is it not RLN...? Reducing the flow would take it out of that category wouldn't it...

Will there be any more public meetings that you know of in the near future...?

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brohm creek is only 4km long and is so fertile it produces a volume of steelhead smolts that most coastal streams like it need to be 12 km long to produce the same number of quality smolts. It has something to do with the eruption of mt. garibaldi 9,000 years ago and resulting volcanic material that is in the area according to Pat Slaney , who gave the presentation last night. He claimed that there are very few streams, maybe less that a dozen that equal or beat Brohm for steelhead production in BC.
Coho have disappeared in this part of the system due to spawning area blockage caused by highway 99. There have been new culverts put in place recently and DFO is going to try and recreate that coho return again.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
rln said:
...Coho have disappeared in this part of the system due to spawning area blockage caused by highway 99. There have been new culverts put in place recently and DFO is going to try and recreate that coho return again.
Yes, improving access to Brohm was addressed at the meeting at UBC during the meeting regarding options for helping the cheak after the spill...it would be a major blow to have it practically dry up during parts of the year...

I looked for any info on public meetings regarding this, but could not find anything.

So rln, I'll ask again, do you know of any more public meetings in the near future...?

thx,

rib

· Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they only deal I know about a public meeting is there will be one sometime this year at Squamish regarding this new project. No date was mentioned that i heard of but the website link is supposed to advertize when it will be. Part of the public consultation process I guess.
After the CN spill money was suddenly found to improve access for salmonids up cheekeye creek and the work was completed.

· Registered
51 Posts
thanks RLN, this is obviously an important battle. Happily there is no shortage of water in sea to sky country so other options should be viable(though clearly more expensive for the developers). Increased poaching will be another important issue to address once the development is complete.
Time to make a big fuss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.