BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am off for the weekend again, cant wait. I am fishing shallow lakes, Fish Lake and McCulluch or Hydraulic Lake as it is sometimes called (avg depth about 12-18ft) which are stocked with Eastern Brook Trout.
Any tips? I hear they are easily spooked and mostly go for bugs, flies etc... not really small fish imitators. I'll be slow trolling and spin casting from a boat. I'm thinking some good wet flies and a couple of pea sized weights? Should else should I throw in there?

Cheers:cheers:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hi all,

I am off for the weekend again, cant wait. I am fishing shallow lakes, Fish Lake and McCulluch or Hydraulic Lake as it is sometimes called (avg depth about 12-18ft) which are stocked with Eastern Brook Trout.
Any tips? I hear they are easily spooked and mostly go for bugs, flies etc... not really small fish imitators. I'll be slow trolling and spin casting from a boat. I'm thinking some good wet flies and a couple of pea sized weights? Should else should I throw in there?

Cheers:cheers:
I've found 4-6 inch brookies in the stomachs of 16+ inch brookies, but a big ol leech pattern usually produces a fish or 2 in the fall, egg suckers especially.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Brookies in the fall become especially agressive for the same reason as Rainbow trout do. To fatten up before ice on. The difference I have found is they tend to hang out in super shallow (4-10 feet) water at this time, no matter what the conditions above. Small Spratleys, Leeches, and the usual staples on a slow troll can work well.

Finder:cheers:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I guess you would fish for brookies the exact same way you would fish for rainbows. I might be wrong but I think there are allot more rainbows than brookies in Hydraulic lake, and your best bet for brookies would probably be Turtle lake which is nearby. You should also try Browne lake, no brookies but some big bows in there to hook up.

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
You should check the stocking reports. I think brookies are stocked in Fish Lake and Idabel Lake both close by but not McCullouch or Browne bur I could be wrong. The last Brook stocking was in 2008 I think. I fish McCulluch and Browne a lot and have never hooked any char. Browne used to have 16 to 18 inch Rainbows regularily but not so much anymore but it us still a quality lake in terms of numbers and pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Date Species Strain Genotype Stage Released Grams Mark
2010-05-19 Brook Trout AYLMER All Female Triploid Fry 2000
2009-05-25 Brook Trout AYLMER All Female Triploid Fingerling 2000
2008-05-26 Brook Trout AYLMER All Female Triploid Fingerling 2000
2007-06-05 Brook Trout AYLMER All Female Triploid Fingerling 2000
2006-06-12 Brook Trout AYLMER All Female Triploid Fingerling 2000

Thats the stocking report for Fish Lake, it was a great weekend. Pain in the ass to launch and it rained pretty solid but the fish were hungry. Fish lake is quite small and lots of underwater plants to snag on but we caught four Brookies over the weekend, all biting on wet flies - green, olive green and a touch of red. I caught the only fish we kept for dinner - a 3.6 pounder with a black woolly worm. The other were lovely fish as well, all between 1.5 -2.5 pounds but we put them back for next year.... Overall great fishing, would have liked to fish Browne but its fly only.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts