BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it's been awhile for me both on the board here and on a lake as my wife has just given birth to our second son (Ewan) :thumbup:and somehow time for fishing just took a hit! Prior to the delivery I did attempt to get to Browne Lake on the May long weekend but had an interesting time. I took my buddy and our two five year olds out to try for some dinner, always loving Browne Lake early in the year. 20 km out the McCulloch Lake FSR I blew the tranny in my 94' F150. So there we were, truck towing boat, sitting at the top of a slight hill and just after a corner, 2 little kids in the truck box having a picnic. . . guess how many of the lovely dozen or so passersby stopped to see if we needed a hand? ZERO. Now, fortunately we were in a short section on the plateau that has cell coverage and I reached a buddy who came and towed us out with his Dodge 3500 (insert Ford jokes here all you Mopar freaks). Even though I wasn't trying to flag guys down I was suprised that not one person stopped to ask a guy with his hood up, 20km from anywhere, with 2 little kids if he needed help.

Also of interest did everyone know that BCAA will not tow from FSR's? Had to get the vehicle to the pavement first, then they drove out and towed us. Good to know. If you haven't already, through a nice big tow rope in the truck before your next trip, you never know. . .

Sparky

·
Registered
550 Posts
Congrats Sparky and family on the birth of your baby boy. Is he going to be a fisherman? ;) :thumbup:

Sorry to hear about your truck :-\ Kind of surprising nobody stopped to see if you needed a hand :pissed: Its a backroads rule for me...What goes around comes around.Reminds me of when I was up at Jones lake and this guy came down to the launch and was playing in the mud with his jeep.A little while later a 2wd truck comes down to launch his car topper.He follows the jeeps path and sinks in the mud. The guy driving the truck asked the jeep driver for a tow.The guy driving the jeep says no and takes off ??? :-X Now we were in a 2wd as well and could not get close enough without sinking to pull the guy out. We tried to push and dig him out but he was high centred. He was able to find a fellow camping with a 4x4 to give him the tug that he needed. Some people ::) Anyway sorry for rant and thanks for the tip about BCAA, I am sure most people find that one out the hard way.

-RC

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Sparky said:
Also of interest did everyone know that BCAA will not tow from FSR's? Had to get the vehicle to the pavement first, then they drove out and towed us. Good to know. If you haven't already, through a nice big tow rope in the truck before your next trip, you never know. . .

Sparky
Check with BCAA on this one. It might have been the local tow company policy, not BCAA. My wife was driving her car out of Community lake last year and put a rock through the sidewall of the tire. Her back was in severe spasm, so she didn't want to change the tire herself. She was in the only spot on the community lake forest service rd, so she called BCAA in Kamloops. There was no problem. Admittedly it was not a tow, but BCAA responded to a call on a forest service road. Worth a check before you head out.

Congrats on the new addition Sparky. :beerchug: :thumbup:Maybe next time though you could plan your partying with a mind to what time of the year is nine months away. No sense loosing a good part of the fishing season when a little planning can get the same results when the water is all really, really hard. ;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers boys, thanks. I'm sure that Ewan will follow in his big brother's footsteps and joint me in the backpack fishing by season's end. As for the lack of help, I agree RC, what goes around comes around- always stop to offer a hand. In this case it wasn't needed but I was still surprised. As for the BCAA thing Professori, when I called them the last time my truck broke down (on the same plateau 2 years ago- Dodge Power Wagon that time) they told me they don't tow from FSR's. But it may be that their local contractors don't, not sure. As for planning? Let's call it a shotgun approach :happy:

Going out Monday with my 5 year old in Kelowna area, any suggestions anyone?
Sparky

·
Registered
247 Posts
years back(30 or so)while fishing on the fraser i had backed down the gravel bar to reload the boat and got stuck as the truck didn't want to pull the weight and this fellow came over and said he'd pull me out for $50. well not having the cash we ended up digging and placing some wood under the tires and finally got to solid enough ground to drive out. meanwhile this guy in the truck had already pulled out 4 other guys, some in 4x4s playing in the mud and was bragging about making $200 bucks while just out to do some mudding himself, well as fate would have it who comes over about an hour later looking for a tow out of the mud, but the man with everybody elses money. well 4 guys offered to pull him out for a cost of, you guessed it $200 bucks. as no tow companies would come out there and cell phones were just starting to be used, he paid back these 4 gents their money and got towed out. i guess i'm just tyring to say that if you can help, offer your help, don't try to take advantage of someones back luck, because you never know when it will be your turn.

·
Registered
33 Posts
wagonmaster said:
i guess i'm just tyring to say that if you can help, offer your help, don't try to take advantage of someones back luck, because you never know when it will be your turn.
I think that's what seperates the real fishermen from the everyone else. We are supposed to be an example for anyone going out in the backcountry. What goes around, comes around!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't think it is BCAA policy to not tow from FSRs either... I had a car towed from a FSR above Penticton all the way to Westbank a couple years ago without any trouble or extra costs. It was a gold membership, but that just covers the extra Kms.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting. When I called they were very clear that the "contractor" could not tow from FSR's. They offerred me the number of a tow company that was willing to go on FSR's but stated it wouldn't be covered by my Gold coverage. Of course the number they gave me was for the very contractor that tows for them.

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
A couple of buddies and I fished Browne Lake on Sunday. I was looking forward to it since it was the "other" guys turn to bring the boat. I'm glad we used the car topper instead of our pontoons because when we got up there at about 11:30 am, it was near freezing! :eek: The scary looking clouds came and went with the high winds in the area but the rain held off and there were sporadic moments of sunlight that warmed our faces and hands up so we were lucky I suppose. It won't be long now until snow if this early winter weather keeps up. I'm still hopeful for a nice October however on the Mighty Thompson. There were a few other anglers out on the water and 3 old timers chucking gear from the bank. We mentioned it was a fly only lake and they pretended that they couldn't speak English. :wallbash: I managed to hook and land three fish, the biggest was 16 inches and very healthy. All three were tagged on a green sparkle micro leech slow trolled on a sinking line. Nothing else was working. After cutting off about 16 feet of my sinking line, leader and fly on my electric motor, I decided I'd had enough and packed it in around 4:00 pm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts