BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a go at bug hunting today but I had my doubts with low tide only dropping to around 9 feet. I previously
had a look around Boundry-Bay Airport but the term "mudd-bay" and "sand shrimp" did not lend well.

....Headed out to Cresent beach but the tide still didn't seem low enough. Wondered around for a bit and
my persistance paid off. Found a little patch around by the piere with sand loose enough to pump.

....There were many angles of attack that seemed to work for different reasons. These escavating marvels
are experts at their version of mining for nutrients. The discharge mounds on the sand comes in two
forms.....one with an extruded sand sqwiggle and one with a light dusting of darker sand from the depths.

The bugs , I found, could be pulled out backwads with the pump from one of the smaller holes. I think the hunting is a little hit and miss as the shrimp works the area but usually within a 1 foot radius of the sqwiggle mound.

If the area does not produce I would go for the swiggle mound and arrate the area by moving the pump
in and out,liquifiing the sand, collapsing the den and picking up these delicute creatures as the surface.

Not easy work but paid off in the end....

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I used to pump beach bugs as well....Finally gave up after I found the local "small live shrimp" tank and the local seafood shop....These little beauties take the dye really well, and are almost as good as the small safeway prawns, which are also very effective. You cure them, fish them live and your success???.........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
They are usually pumped with a piece of pipe/tubing with a handle. They are sand shrimp and can be found in the sand at local beaches. Much more difficult to find than years ago. Very good steelhead bait. Not worth the effort as new cures and availability of fresh and live prawns work just as well...........Ortho 8)

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good one Shane...!!! Those claws may be tiny but they can pinch like the dickins..... :happy:

Best to pull them off before you try and sting them on you're hook.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
327 Posts
They are also called Ghost Shrimp and used to be the greatest bait there was in the Tompson for steelhead, (not my calling them that just what I heard.)
You can buy pumps for getting them I believe at Steveston Marina. I think I've seen them there or at Army & Navy.
Or you can make your ownquite easily using PVC tubes, glue and chaulking. :2cents:

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have personally fished over steelhead that I could see in gin clear water, casting my entire arsenal in my vest without a sniff. Tied on a bug through my bait loop and cinched it down with a couple wraps spider tread on the shank of the hook. Wham fish on. Steelhead have an extremely hard time resisting a well presented bug. In my opinion bugs are still the best bait for steelhead. I just get tired of fishing them all day. I use this method last when I fish through a run that I feel has a fish holding in it. I also leave them o natural. I do not dye or cure them and keep them fresh in saw dust. :cheers: sage

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.