BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its really nice looking at everyone's nice (expensive) boats on the forum. However, anyone with a credit rating can purchase a new boat: it takes character to pilot an older craft. Also I'm somewhat whipped (or I have too many other expensive hobbies!?) so paying new price isn't in the cards.

I'm interested in starting a thread containing tips, comments, etc on restoring older fishing boats.

Some items for discussion:
1. Economically re-powering a vessel. Lease returns vs. brand new
2. Are there any boat wrecking yards in BC for cheap used parts.
3. Working with dry-rot wood.
4. What kind of personal flotation devise works best.
5. etc

Any interest?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Well this is the thread for me!

I went down to the states and picked up a 1965 Starcraft Starchief for the sole purpose of rebuilding. The starchief was originally a cabin cuddy but the guy I bought it off of had removed the cabin. That didn't bother me much as I wanted a sport/fishing boat with lots of deck space. When it comes to re-powering I am in a different boat :cheers: , as I have a 110hp mercruiser sterndrive. But the rest of the build is basically time consuming.

I started with the strip down, right to the bare hull, cleaned it and then epoxied all of the rivets with Gluve-It, double coating all of the major seams. The next step was to track down a foam insulator for a reasonable price,which I did...$160 to fully foam the entire hull with high density spray foam. New floor, custom windshield (Thanks Marko :beerchug: ), all new aluminum on the top of the boat etc etc..

All in all I bet I would have more pride in my boat than anyone with a new boat that they just bought. Mine will have lots of character and be completely custom built to me and me only :thumbup:

If anyone has any question about boat rebuilding shoot away, this thread is long overdue!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hey Trav,

would you mind to post some pics, please, i am planing to remove carpet from my boat to make it easier to clean.

Thanks, :cheers:
B.

·
Registered
612 Posts
If I was doing a boat now, I would look for a decent aluminum,(preferably welded) with a blown motor...Aluminum doesn't rot....I'd then chase around for a new or newer outboard to go on it...
Or,just look for an older U.S. boat that is still in good shape..
Older boats down there are very cheap...
I brought three boats into Canada and sold them before I had enough for my present boat, which was half what I would have paid in Canada at the time.

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Abbys got the right idea. ;)

Go with an older aluminum boat to save some coin then build upfrom there.

If you're thinkin O/B a lease return is a good idea with the ballance of the warrenty

in tact, or overhaul an I/B for some fresh reliable power.

You may have to put some time in searching for parts but when it come to the boat its self what

you can't find you can always make..... ;D

:beerchug: Marko

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Exactly Gord. Bridgeview Marine as well as most Marine outboard drealers but you must act
fast as they do sell fast. You might even be able to pre-order.

:beerchug: Marko

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
100MileGord said:
Thanks for the replies.

I'm still deciding between Merc and Yamaha to repower.
I am biased on this one as I wuld choose Yami! I had a 1991 55hp that did great on the water, never left me starnded and would go back to yamaha in a second!

Pics of my boat will get posted soon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am biased on this one as I wuld choose Yami! I had a 1991 55hp that did great on the water, never left me starnded and would go back to yamaha in a second!
I'm leaning towards Yami as well. I wandered the docks of 4 different Alaska fishing ports in July and about 90% of outboards on the rec fishing boats were Yamis. This might attest to either reliability or perhaps a better sales/promotional campaign by Yam.

The new mercs 4strokes are supposed to be quieter though and quality must (hopefully) be on par with the rest of the industry. It'll probably come done to price and availability next spring.

Decisions, Decisions!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice, Steelie!

If your boat gets any sweeter we will have to remove it from this thread: no longer BBB.

The hull looks like the 18 footer that I'm working with other than mine's an outboard.

Nice metalwork for the windshield: I'm embarassed now to even attempt showing my pics.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
100MileGord said:
Nice, Steelie!

If your boat gets any sweeter we will have to remove it from this thread: no longer BBB.

The hull looks like the 18 footer that I'm working with other than mine's an outboard.

Nice metalwork for the windshield: I'm embarassed now to even attempt showing my pics.
Thanks Gord, she has been quite the endeavor.....as I started the build in Jan/Feb. I had a few breaks here and there due to $$$. Marko did a great job on the windshield riser for me, the entire top surface of the boat recieved all new aluminum and an extended bow that you can see in the pics above (used to be a cabin cuddy and the bow was too far forward before).

Here are a couple more pics of the dash I built for it.....

And the new (to me) outdrive that was mounted today!

·
Registered
186 Posts
well here goes.

a couple of years ago this boat had some bad luck at a dock overnight in a storm and ending up getting a little submerged:eek:. the boat and engine sat for 2 years without any proper steps taken to save the engine from the salt water.

In november i decided to take on the task of reviving her. I started with the engine. I was able to free up the pistons and get her going, the salt ended up taking a carb(which needed replacing anyway) and a starter motor(not a nessecity because the engine has a pull start). after somewhat rebuilding the engine i got it to fire and ran it for several hours in fresh water.

after i felt confident in the engine i begain the hull work.

i stripped the console and benches out and this is how she looked.

after a quick clean and some fun with the grinder she looked mildly better

her first water ride in about 3 years was on sunday. I was very pleased with way that she performed. Before the test all i wished for was that she would float..needless to say the boat exceeded my expectations.

heres the almost final product:cheers:

the front casting platform has a built in cooler/fishbox and a small storage comparment built in. under the bench seat is also some storage space.

G

·
It really makes me happy to see someone that is willing to take on a project like this ,show the initiative and take such pride in a job well done! Good on ya!!
Be careful though. Boat reno's have been known to be addictive.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
It really makes me happy to see someone that is willing to take on a project like this ,show the initiative and take such pride in a job well done! Good on ya!!
Be careful though. Boat reno's have been known to be addictive.
My wife would agree with you there! So far my build has lasted 1 1/2 years. Just found the engine I am getting this weekend, 140Hp mercruiser. Then finish the top, then the bench seats......still lots to go!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.