BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have considered building a new fly rod in the past and might actually do it in the near future. I currently have a 6 wt, 7 wt and a 7/8 wt. I would like to build a rod for use on LML lakes and the Skagit and will most likely choose to build a 4 wt. What length blank would be best to use? Which blank would be good to start with? Is there a better rod weight to use for this build? (I think building a 5 wt would be pointless since I already have a 6 wt.) And where do I buy the rest of the materials? My budget for the blank and materials is $200 or less.

Sorry for the 1000 questions, I just want to get as much information as I can before I commit to a build.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
For a rod for the Skagit, I would go to an 8' or less, and for a lake rod, I would want the longest I could have, so why not build 2?? LOL A 5 wt wouldn't be pointless-it is a full line weight less than a 6 wt. Admittedly, I am a rod junkie and have everything from a 2 wt (my preferred Skagit rod) to a 10 wt, with more than one rod in some weights (different lengths, etc.). That said, I wouldn't go less than a 4 wt. for lakes (a 5 or 6 is better in many lakes when there is a good a chance of 2 and 3 lb fish). Take a look here http://shofftackle.com/ (click on the rod kits) and check out the Rainshadow kits - a 4 piece 4 wt ranges from US$139 to US$145 depending on length and include all the components you need to build your rod. I have several Rainshadows and I think they compare very favourably to any medium-high end rods. (It is my opinion, so all you Sage and Winston guys don't need to jump on me here.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts