BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to take on a fun project and build me a Rainshadow BP1265 downrigger rod. I am going with a Alps triangle reel seat and Tich guides with gold plating. She's coming along nicely so far!!

PA240450.jpg

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Looking very nice Corey. Keep us posted as she gets closer to done. I love the challenge of a build and the satisfaction found using the finished product. Did you build your tying lathe, or is it a commercial one? Either way it has given me a couple ideas for a new one for myself. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like the graphite but and reel seat. What is the fore-grip? It looks like its going to be a nice rod. My last rod I built was a 10' 9# Rainshadow that I'm going to use in the chuck. I used a couple of Tich guide for the stippers.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Thrasher.....you're selling your Islander that matches the new rod??? That's some total bling you'd have going in that set up....black and gold....like an 70's TransAm!!! :peace: :p 8)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I like the graphite but and reel seat. What is the fore-grip? It looks like its going to be a nice rod. My last rod I built was a 10' 9# Rainshadow that I'm going to use in the chuck. I used a couple of Tich guide for the stippers.
The foregrip is EVA Foam with a heat shrink grip attached to it. If you go to the Batson website, there are details at how to install it.

Pippen, I have an extra MR3 to stick on it. ;)

Prof, that tying lathe is from the shop I am working at. He makes them himself by just ripping some strips on his table saw. Pretty simple design and they work great!

I put this rod together after everything was all tied up and ready for epoxy...OH MY...this rod is going o be sweet!!!!!!

I can't wait....but I have to unfortunately!

·
Retired Administrator
4,447 Posts
That's a beaut. I saw some rods with this type of handle at Nikka awhile back and boy they were pricey! Any feedback from the diehard 'cork' aficionados?

·
Registered
252 Posts
just noticed, Dont forget to lock that Folbe in! That would suck losing that nice rod/reel. I bought a pair of Folbe's but I have been too scared to use them.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I've got the folbe's as well, mainly for sturgeon.
When I use them for down riggers, I lock them, and then use them like a tube.

Love the rod and reel.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
It is a beauty, for sure!
How was the carbon rear grip to work with?
That carbon rear grip was a breeze. Shim it, bond it...done.

That's a beaut. I saw some rods with this type of handle at Nikka awhile back and boy they were pricey! Any feedback from the diehard 'cork' aficionados?
As far as longevity, it will outlast cork easily. No wear and even wet it was still a great handle to grip.

Beautiful rod, I must say ;)

The only thing that I encountered was that the standard foot on the MR3's is actually a mere few thousands of an inch too big to fully fit into the real seat. I ended up having to get Islander to supply a foot for an MR2 that I am going to have to swap out. I actually had the reel fall out of the real seat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts