BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I just got back from another week on the Bulkley near Smithers, so thought I would update you on the river and fishing. The river below the Telkwa is much clearer than it was two weks ago but we still fished upstream of Telkwa for the whole week (Oct 11 to 18). We floated three days and river traffic was way down (compared to tmy last visit) but somehow there was always someone in our favourite holes! We walked in for the remaining 5 days and after a freshet on Oct13/14 started to get into fish. We caught 7 stelhead and lost one...4 in the 10lb range and 3 about 6lbs, I don't have a measuring stick on my rod so can't tell you more. These were all caught with small wet flies, the water being a little on the cool side for dries. A neighbour at our campground had hooked 30+ fish, landed 20+ in a four week period, so you can tell the fishing is picking up. We left on Oct 18th with it raining and there was a lot more forecast for Oct 19th so I expect the fishing to get better, even if the backroad travel gets stickier. Good luck to anyone heading out that way, I'm done for the year, next stop the Skagit in March!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Redfin: I am moving down closer to the South Coast and away from the north coast.....
I haven't fished the Skagit for steelhead.....is March the best time for Skagit steelies?

thanks.....Speyce Cadet

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm very new to the Skagit...I fished it for the first time last April but had no success (except for some dollies). If I remember correctly there is a catch-and-release period for the month of April then the season closes. I would guess that March is a better month to try. The spring run of steelhead....the river got a mention in Trey Coombs book "Steelhead Fly Fishing" and also in Dec Hogan's new book "A Passion for Steelhead", was historically fantastic but in recent years it has crashed. As I mentioned, I will be trying again next March/April and hopefully will learn a lot more then. Good luck, and let me know if you find out any more info.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Redfin: thanks for the references.....seems like a lot of the Steelhead fisheries are in serious trouble.
Vancouver Island rivers on the east coast have lost or or are going to lose their rich history of steelhead.

good luck with your March fishing.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts