BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestions for fly fishing for bull trout would be greatly apreciated! I have been fishing a remote northern stream lately for grayling and have seen many 10lb+ bull trout preying on my catch. I have tried many flies and techniques to target these guys but with no luck! Very frustrating to catch grayling over and over when you know there are huge bull trout to be played in the same pool! Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not sure about up north, but down here in the LML I use huge minnow paterns, leeches etc...the key word being 'big'. Get down to 'em with a good tip. Try a grayling pattern :thumbup:

·
Registered
784 Posts
It really depends on what is in the river at the time. However a few patterns that seem to always produce for me would be large leeches in black or purple, large blue with natural back zonkers, and gold bead head medium green leeches with gold flash. Regardless of the time of year these patterns consistently catch bulls for me.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Big sculpin patterns in olive green and black and brown works down here as well green and black wooly buggers. Colorodo blades,pink worms,and flesh pattern flies.

Try any one of those and let us know how you make out!

Hotrod

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
headshake said:
I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a bull and a dolly. Guy on the vedder had one, I thought it was a dolly and he said it was a bull trout. Either way, can you keep these on the vedder?
NO! They are all wild and there is no retention of wild trout or char on the vedder/chilliwack. (it's in the regs-read them)

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
As others have said anything big and heavy will work, I also like big bunny leaches in green, blk or brown. To me the key to a good bully fly is heavy barbell eyes. If you put somthing big and ugly in their face they will smash it. Try a dead drift and if that fails try a quick jerky retrieve I have found this often triggers explosive takes.

If all of the above fails try a large heavy stone nymph under an indicator this will somtimes work when the above listed methods fail.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.