BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!:thumbup:

Thought I'd finally make an account on this forum as fly fishing is increasingly becoming a great hobby of mine.

I'm fairly new to the scene and am interested in fishing for some Bullies in The Squamish River. I've been up there for Chum for the last two years but I'm looking for a change of pace. Now I've heard you are able to fish for Bulls, Rainbows, and Dollies etc. year round in the Squamish, so it's always good to have a spot that I can go to when I don't feel like reeling in something that is ugly as all HELL:p

So I'm interested in what you friendly fisherman (and women) can tell me about good areas to fish for trout in the Squamish River. I've been told that around 28 1/2 mile is an option as well as the campsite right after Ashlu Bridge.

Also, if there are any good flies you would recommend specifically for Bulls I would greatly appreciate hearing about that too.

Thanks for your time,

Shawn

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hey everyone!:thumbup:

Thought I'd finally make an account on this forum as fly fishing is increasingly becoming a great hobby of mine.

I'm fairly new to the scene and am interested in fishing for some Bullies in The Squamish River. I've been up there for Chum for the last two years but I'm looking for a change of pace. Now I've heard you are able to fish for Bulls, Rainbows, and Dollies etc. year round in the Squamish, so it's always good to have a spot that I can go to when I don't feel like reeling in something that is ugly as all HELL:p

So I'm interested in what you friendly fisherman (and women) can tell me about good areas to fish for trout in the Squamish River. I've been told that around 28 1/2 mile is an option as well as the campsite right after Ashlu Bridge.

Also, if there are any good flies you would recommend specifically for Bulls I would greatly appreciate hearing about that too.

Thanks for your time,

Shawn

As the salmon spawn dies off the bull trout spread themselves throughout the whole river. For the time being, you will still find the highest number of bulls near spawning salmon. The ashlu area is around 24 mile and there is good water literally from there until 31 mile. You can find good numbers of trout lower down as well near the mouth of the Chek. Above 31 mile there is good water as well, the holes are just a little more sparse and spread out, but can be great too and shouldn't be overlooked. I just head out, park in an area where I see the least cars parked so as to not disturb other guys and be fishing in fresher water. Every big deep run will have some number of bulls, its less tricky than you'd think. The fishing can be slow in the dead cold but the Squamish scenery is always breathtaking IMO.

Egg flies, flesh flies, spoons, egg sucking leeches, are among the more common methods this time of year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As the salmon spawn dies off the bull trout spread themselves throughout the whole river. For the time being, you will still find the highest number of bulls near spawning salmon. The ashlu area is around 24 mile and there is good water literally from there until 31 mile. You can find good numbers of trout lower down as well near the mouth of the Chek. Above 31 mile there is good water as well, the holes are just a little more sparse and spread out, but can be great too and shouldn't be overlooked. I just head out, park in an area where I see the least cars parked so as to not disturb other guys and be fishing in fresher water. Every big deep run will have some number of bulls, its less tricky than you'd think. The fishing can be slow in the dead cold but the Squamish scenery is always breathtaking IMO.

Egg flies, flesh flies, spoons, egg sucking leeches, are among the more common methods this time of year.
That's all great info. Thanks very much for the detailed response. Hopefully I'll have some pictures to post this weekend. :)

Thanks again man!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Went up a couple weeks late but I ended up getting what I wanted. Not a huge bully but definitely worth it!

Caught it on a surprisingly big sculpin fly. I guess Bull Trout have a big appetite :p

·
Registered
452 Posts
Hi Shawn. Welcome aboard. You'll find lots of friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable people on this site - I'm only two of the aforementioned though ;-)
Anyhow, and I mean this in the friendliest, most diplomatic way possible, it's recommended that catch/release species like bulls and non-hatchery steelies, etc. not be brought up to beach but left in the water to be released. It's been a recent hot topic on here so your timing is good as the knowledge, friendliness, and diplomacy is on display in this thread here.
Also, very nice bulls. Well done!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting! Had no idea about that. Just brought it out of the water for a quick picture and that was it. Sent it on it's way back home after 15 seconds.

I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for the information.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Those bulls are pretty special aren't they...good on you Shawn, I recall seeing that pic when you first posted it. They're beautiful fish for sure.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Those bulls are pretty special aren't they...good on you Shawn, I recall seeing that pic when you first posted it. They're beautiful fish for sure.

Thanks man! I appreciate that. I took the pictures down understandably. Don't really feel like taking a lot of flak for something that is frowned upon by certain people.

It seems people are pretty sensitive about handling fish, but not about putting hooks and holes in their mouths :) oh well!

Thanks again have a good one.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Thanks man! I appreciate that. I took the pictures down understandably. Don't really feel like taking a lot of flak for something that is frowned upon by certain people.

It seems people are pretty sensitive about handling fish, but not about putting hooks and holes in their mouths
oh well!

Thanks again have a good one.

Yeah, I hear ya, sometimes its hard when you're proud of your catch and just want to show it to everyone, it makes it difficult too when you get input other than you might have expected, even when it's constructive and trying to be helpful. It's pretty clear that's what the guys are trying to do here for you...

Believe me, there's no shortage of guys here who appreciate your catch whether they've caught 100's of them or none at all. Don't take what they're saying as "flak"...proper fish handling is becoming more and more important, especially when some of the fish we catch come solely from wild stocks and/or populations that are protected by catch and release regulations.

You can poke a fish in the mouth with a hook plenty and it has a very good chance of surviving, but if you mishandle the fish, keep it out of the water too long, give it an infection from your gloves or drop it on the rocks for example then the chances that it will die after release increase dramatically...even if it did initially swim away full of adrenaline from the fear of being caught.

What we hope you will come to realize is that in recent years the science has become pretty clear about how our angling practices can impact their survival significantly.

In that link Kuma posted for you you'll find other links to data, articles, etc...including an article from the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC. They're responsible for the stocking of many of our fisheries, but also for much of the research into how our stocking and angling practices can impact the wild fish stocks that already exist in many of these systems. Their article linked there has some good info. In fact there are new studies now that are starting to indicate that keeping your fish out of the water more than 3 seconds can significantly reduce its percentage chance of survival...

There are a lot of very experienced anglers here who are familiar with this fishery you've just started to explore and many other fisheries around the province. They're not trying to steer you in the wrong direction or hurt your pride, they're offering info to you because info is what you asked for. I know, I know, you were looking for spots and where to start, but there is so much more to it than that...and these guys see youre passionate about it so they want to help you out.

But then, don't just take our word for it, read for yourself. Anglers all around BC are starting to figure it out, protecting our wild stocks has become pretty important in this day and age.

Anyways, I hope you take this all in stride and don't get too bent about it, being a good angler involves more than just catching fish, it also involves respecting the resource and being willing to learn. I know that most guys who have been around the block a few times will respect you more for that than anything else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts