BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have spend day after day casting fly after fly on the Vedder with no luck. It's coming though, I'm pretty sure I have cast 957 times by now. Have had a couple of solid tugs and seen some fish but just no luck yet. Many reasons for this, mostly inexperience but that will change with time.

Im thinking about switching up the species of fish I am going for until the steelheads start moving in more and my chances are increased. Im pretty sure I have seen a couple of bull trout out there. Any of you guys have any luck with the bulls (I know you have) and could recommend a fly pattern that would work better over others during the winter months?

Have already done the Google search and what not, but nothing beats local knowledge.

Good luck to everyone this weekend.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The great thing about bulls is they are pretty greedy and can be caught on almost everything.

I've had a lot of luck using pink/purple and blue/white marabou jigs with some flash, and would imagine similar flies performing just as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, thank you. I have been using the egg sucking leeches in purple so looks like I was a). I was not to far off and b). I need to add to my collection. Where about's in the water do they like to sit?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey man,

Bull trout abso-freakin-lutely hate anything white and will smash it on sight. Next time your in fred's get yourself the big white streamer with the pink butt. If you got bull's in the run, they'll smash on it. the Zonker is super effective too... (The white fly), The bull will sit in any water that has some smooth riffles and use tree's shadow's as cover, behind rocks, pocket water and pool tail-outs.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dogmeat, appreciate the PM as well. Was fun fishing with you the other day, we should do it again soon.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
I have had good success with a bow bugger. You can tie it as shown, or all white with blue hackle, or all white (including hackle) with some blue krystal flash highlight. Any of these should get you steady action.

Reactions: Big Rig

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you Professori That makes it look so easy! I have yet to venture into the world of tying my own fly's but its one that Im looking forward to. I will put that one on my shopping list though. Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have spend day after day casting fly after fly on the Vedder with no luck. It's coming though, I'm pretty sure I have cast 957 times by now.
You know the fish of a thousand casts, refers to fishing with gear right? On the fly, its a fish of 10,000 casts :eek:

The best way I have found to catch bull trout is to fish for steelhead lol. All of the following fish were caught in the last year while swinging flies for steelhead. I say keep casting and swinging... :cheers:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats a real nice looking reel. Im going to stick to my one hander this year but who knows what will happen for next season. May give a two hander a try. Looks like fun and a bit easier to use in tough areas.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Like I said, keep swinging for steelhead.

I have been itching to get out on the river this weekend to try out a new rod I just bought, but yesterday the river had 0 vis. This afternoon the winds died down a bit and there was a little bit of clarity, so out I went to try out the rod. Found this fat little chrome bull that hammered my fly and took a nice run.

These bulls as by catch are a part of steelheading that I quite enjoy. They are nice looking fish, and it is always nice to get a pull while out swinging, even if it isn't quite what I am out there for.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice work. Im lucky enough I can stay home with my kids on the weekend and sneak in a few hours during the week. So I stayed at home planning out my weeks game plan. Would love to get one of those on the line if it's not a Steel. It seems like all you boys are double handing it out there, are their many others on here doing it 1 handed? Im using a 8w Sage Vantage and it seems like its got enough to get the job done, its just the delivery that needs dialling in.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey Big Rig, yeah, I haven't really been converted to the two-hander. I'm a single-hand fly guy. Can't for the life of me figure out why I would need a two-hander. I've got a 25 year old G.Loomis 10 foot 8 weight rod that I've been using for Steelhead and salmon every year and it does the job quite nicely.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I pick the tool for the run really. I bust out my single hander on small runs and the two hander on large wide runs. I still need a switch rod though. ;)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts