BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I enjoyed the vedder for the last two seasons with my regular fishing rod. However, this year I am going to shift to Fly Fishing.
I took a course, which was very informative and from which I learned the basics, and I learned casting. I also went few times to try it in the vedder, I was quite happy but of course I didn't catch anything, and I am waiting for the Cohos to get my first fight. I am so exited about that and looking forward to it. (I have a Sage 9 feet 8 wt line, and I feel comfortable with this rod).

I thought that maybe I can try fishing a lake to still practice and at the same time experience (hopefully) some fight with some trouts. I know that the rod that I have is not appropriate for trouts and for the lake, but I thought there is nothing wrong to try especially since I want to practice my cast mainly. So, I went to one of my favorite local stores and bought some flies. I told them about the idea of practicing in a lake and I have been told to try Buntzen or Sasamat lake since I do not have any other equipment except for my rod. They told me there are good spots where I can fish with no need for a boat or something else.

These two lakes are much closer than the veddder for me and I would be able to go there for few hours without having a long commute (as I do for the vedder). I live in burnaby.

I was wondering if you have any suggestion to where exactly I can go, or if you suggest any other lake where I can start my fly fishing adventure.

I appreciate your help.

Giuseppe

· Registered
898 Posts
9ft 8wt rod, 8wt reel, 8wt line and you want to catch 10inch trout :naughty:
sorry but this is over kill
keep it for the Coho and Steelhead

I suggest you buy a cheap fly rod set ($40.00) from Wall Mart\Canadian Tire the smaller wt the better
If you want to target small trout
you will have way more fun with light gear:thumbup:

These lakes are not easy to fly fish unless you have a tube\boat
Lafarge can be fished from shore but you have to watch your back cast
Green Timbers maybe ok
I think Hook has thrown a few casts there
Hope this helps 8)

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Britguy said:
9ft 8wt rod, 8wt reel, 8wt line and you want to catch 10inch trout :naughty:
sorry but this is over kill
keep it for the Coho and Steelhead

I suggest you buy a cheap fly rod set ($40.00) from Wall Mart\Canadian Tire the smaller wt the better
If you want to target small trout
you will have way more fun with light gear:thumbup:

These lakes are not easy to fly fish unless you have a tube\boat
Lafarge can be fished from shore but you have to watch your back cast
Green Timbers maybe ok
I think Hook has thrown a few casts there
Hope this helps 8)
Thanks for the reply Britguy. Sure I do not want to kill any trout (I was not even thinking to keep them). I knew it was a bit to much for the kind of rod I have but the guy at the store suggested it so I thought maybe I can try. You are right, maybe it makes more sense to buy something cheap but more appropriate for trouts and try Green Timbers, is it a lake of an area of Buntzen lake?

Giuseppe

· Registered
876 Posts
If anything a bigger rod is better for the fish as you will bring them in wayyyy faster than on a light rod lol. But I don't think you meant it that way britguy. If you can afford it go down to the US and get a float tube (U boat). The cost 75 bucks down there and will open your chances at any lake dramatically. If you decide to get a float tube I would reccomend Stacey Lake as you should definatly catch some fish there.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Every Day said:
If anything a bigger rod is better for the fish as you will bring them in wayyyy faster than on a light rod lol. But I don't think you meant it that way britguy. If you can afford it go down to the US and get a float tube (U boat). The cost 75 bucks down there and will open your chances at any lake dramatically. If you decide to get a float tube I would reccomend Stacey Lake as you should definatly catch some fish there.
Thanks Dan. It would sounds stupid to you probably but I am afraid of being alone in the water, especially with a float tube in a lake. :-[

Giuseppe

· Registered
876 Posts
Not at all man. I use to be terrified of water that I couldnt see the bottom of ;) I had to over come those fears however as I am now a lifegaurd and also the fact that a U-Tube has pretty much a seat belt that holds you in place. I also almost never go out alone and if I do someone I know is always close by on the shore where I can be seen. After what I saw today I am a little bit freaked of the river and tubing all together :wallbash:

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Giuseppe said:
Every Day said:
Thanks Dan. It would sounds stupid to you probably but I am afraid of being alone in the water, especially with a float tube in a lake. :-[

Giuseppe
I know Every Day would probably disagree, but when using a float tube or a pontoon boat, always wear a PFD (personal flotation device). I have mustang inflatable fishing vest, and a mustang inflatable suspender type PFD. I always have one or the other on when every I am on the water, or wading. They run around $130-$150, but I value my life.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
professori said:
Giuseppe said:
Every Day said:

Giuseppe
I know Every Day would probably disagree, but when using a float tube or a pontoon boat, always wear a PFD (personal flotation device). I have mustang inflatable fishing vest, and a mustang inflatable suspender type PFD. I always have one or the other on when every I am on the water, or wading. They run around $130-$150, but I value my life.
Thanks for the advise. However, my problem is not that I am not able to swim (I grew up on the beach). The problem is that I am not comfortable being in a lake alone. It is difficult to explain but it has more to do with a psychological-cultural limit (swimming in the ocean is fine to me, but I have been always told that lakes are dangerous; what can I say, it is a very strong conditioned fear). And most likely, this fear would not allow me to enjoy the fishing. But I guess I need to try with someone. It is probably the best way to test and make my self comfortable.

To go back to the trouts. I am getting more and more fascinated by it. Even looking at the pics in the trouts-pics topic here. They are beautiful. I am seriously thinking of buying a 5wt rod and try the small Green Timbers in surrey. I am going to have a look at it this week.

Giuseppe

· Registered
3,796 Posts
Giuseppe said:
Thanks for the advise. However, my problem is not that I am not able to swim (I grew up on the beach). The problem is that I am not comfortable being in a lake alone. It is difficult to explain but it has more to do with a psychological-cultural limit (swimming in the ocean is fine to me, but I have been always told that lakes are dangerous; what can I say, it is a very strong conditioned fear). And most likely, this fear would not allow me to enjoy the fishing. But I guess I need to try with someone. It is probably the best way to test and make my self comfortable.

To go back to the trouts. I am getting more and more fascinated by it. Even looking at the pics in the trouts-pics topic here. They are beautiful. I am seriously thinking of buying a 5wt rod and try the small Green Timbers in surrey. I am going to have a look at it this week.

Giuseppe
The 5 wt sounds like a plan. As for being on the lake alone, that isn't really a fear thing, more like common sense. I seldom am out by myself and that is for the very real consideration of what would happen if I get into trouble and have no-one to help me. I will go to many lakes alone, because I know the likelihood is that there will be others there when I arrive. You can always go to the outings and hookups forum and try to meet up with someone at your local lake.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
professori said:
Giuseppe said:

Giuseppe
The 5 wt sounds like a plan. As for being on the lake alone, that isn't really a fear thing, more like common sense. I seldom am out by myself and that is for the very real consideration of what would happen if I get into trouble and have no-one to help me. I will go to many lakes alone, because I know the likelihood is that there will be others there when I arrive. You can always go to the outings and hookups forum and try to meet up with someone at your local lake.
I am glad that my fear is perceived (and maybe it is ) as common sense. Prof, the bad thing is that I LOVE fishing alone, I can't describe you how much.

Giuseppe

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Hey Giuseppe I do not know how far from Pitt meadows you live but the north end of neaves road is great right now for bass. You will be fishing the sloughs and ponds and fish from shore. It is a great place to practice your casts and fighting a fish.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

· Registered
1,165 Posts
Giuseppe said:
flyguy said:
Hey Giuseppe I do not know how far from Pitt meadows you live but the north end of neaves road is great right now for bass. You will be fishing the sloughs and ponds and fish from shore. It is a great place to practice your casts and fighting a fish.
Thanks flyguy. Pitt meadows is very close. Which spot do you exactly mean? The one before McNeil Road?

here is the map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Neaves...US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl
Past Ladner road. There is a bridge between the turn off to golden eagle golf course and swan-e-set. This is sturgeon slough and it hold bass. There are also pond further down the road that hold bass as well. The bass are not hard to find as you will see them rise. Also look for structure and place a cast along it and retrieve. Hang on as they will hit hard.

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
flyguy said:
Giuseppe said:
flyguy said:
Thanks flyguy. Pitt meadows is very close. Which spot do you exactly mean? The one before McNeil Road?

here is the map:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Neaves...US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&sa=N&tab=wl
Past Ladner road. There is a bridge between the turn off to golden eagle golf course and swan-e-set. This is sturgeon slough and it hold bass. There are also pond further down the road that hold bass as well. The bass are not hard to find as you will see them rise. Also look for structure and place a cast along it and retrieve. Hang on as they will hit hard.
Thanks. I am going to look for a rod this week. I was thinking of a 5wt. Any specific fly you will suggest? I was thinking to buy some poppers, divers, leeches, pike or baitfish, try them and experience my self re the best fly. What do you think?

Giuseppe

· Banned
2,854 Posts
i would just toss Wooly Buggers for those bass. should work just fine but a popper fly would be pretty fun. your rod isnt exaclt over-kill on our local lakes, less fun YES there is a local guy that fishes Green Timbers with a 9wt when its a bit breezy :confused: I dont know why because i cast just as far with my 5wt as he does in the same wind. maybe he is just lazy LOL If you wanna know what works good at some spots along that lake PM me and i can tell you what works best for me OR i can meet you there one day. fishing is tough this time of year there though.

I would for sure buy a 5wt HOWEVER if you can hold off until Xmas there is always a good boxing day sale at Hub's in abbotsford i got a Sage 5wt for $50 bucks there a few years ago, i dont care where you go you cant beat that LOL and there is no sense in buying trout stuff when salmon are so close to being here :cheers:

· Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
HOOK said:
i would just toss Wooly Buggers for those bass. should work just fine but a popper fly would be pretty fun. your rod isnt exaclt over-kill on our local lakes, less fun YES there is a local guy that fishes Green Timbers with a 9wt when its a bit breezy :confused: I dont know why because i cast just as far with my 5wt as he does in the same wind. maybe he is just lazy LOL If you wanna know what works good at some spots along that lake PM me and i can tell you what works best for me OR i can meet you there one day. fishing is tough this time of year there though.

I would for sure buy a 5wt HOWEVER if you can hold off until Xmas there is always a good boxing day sale at Hub's in abbotsford i got a Sage 5wt for $50 bucks there a few years ago, i dont care where you go you cant beat that LOL and there is no sense in buying trout stuff when salmon are so close to being here :cheers:
thanks hook. PM on the way.

Giuseppe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.