BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buntzen Lake is flooded.
I went there sunday for the first time this year and the water is higher than Ive ever seen it.
I only got my boat into the water thanks to a fellow boater. The launch is useless, and the only way to the dock is to swin there lol.
No trout for me this time but seen a few guys land them. Their in there!

[attachment deleted by admin]

· Banned
2,854 Posts
holy bloody hell

what happened there? where did the water come from? I have never seen it like that EVER! Godo thing i can still launch a pontoon in that :thumbup:

what type of setup were you using when you were there?

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Basically the same set up I use every time im there.
Sinking flyline with a carrey special.
I just troll it behind my boat tryn to hit the shoals and hopfully a fish.

You can definitely launch ur pontoon and a small boat if you have boots on.
From what I herd the talk was the water wont be down to normal levels untill May.

· Banned
2,854 Posts
thats pretty crazy about the water. When im there i usually just troll a black spratley on a dry line right out in the middle of the lake (around the left from the dock) and some days only get a couple but usually i get half a dozen or so :thumbup: :thumbup:

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Same, I've had 15+ fish days out on that lake (obviously only keeping 4 cuz thats the limit)
I cant say that the lake is hit or miss. Its 80% hit 20% miss. If you get there at the right time (early morning or 3pm) then your a shoe in to get a hit.
As far as location goes its all over the place. There are times when I stick to my regular spots and other times I venture out. I mainly fish the right side of the lake all the way up to the north end. I tend to stay away from the shadowy left side although left from the launch is productive too. Even the middle of the lake I have caught larger rainbow & cutthroat trout on the fly.

I think personaly the main thing is to:
1) Have a boat ( either a 12' aluminum or belly)
2) Get there at the right time and find a productive location
3) Use the right gear like flies or spinners
4) Proper technique is KEY. Make the fish want to attack your lure!

Im amazed everytime I get into shore and folks ask me about my catch.
They are so thrilled to see a trout come out that lake.
People dont think that a lake 30 min to get to from any major city nearby can produce good fishing.
Well it does, just take the time to study the lake.

:2cents:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya i hear that im usually in my tube but hey I sold it :thumbup: so i guess i will be in the new pontoon when i go there. I also agree with you about fishing where the shase is, when im around the left side I stick to where the sun is on the water. We normally fish that lake from about 10am till 3 or 4 pm seems to be a productive time of the day

· Registered
186 Posts
Its been flooded since before feb 3...Spent a day up there troll'in my single willowleaf and leech....nada at any depth or any spot....and can say I covered a good % of the lake. However it was sunny and just a great day to be out there!!! :beerchug:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
Sea Chaser next time your out try trolling a fly. One of the patterns either of us said we use seem to be the better of a few patterns that are particularly effective in this lake :thumbup:

· Banned
2,854 Posts
ya BCfisher posted the flooded pics last year also but it was nothing compared to now. Most guys fish from shore with powerbait or worms. guys out in boats will troll the usual things and/or flies.

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right you are HOOK.
Last summer was a great year for fishing this lake.
Troll a fly. Anything brown/black/red/ or green works for me.
Cant wait for the water to drop.

· Registered
452 Posts
My best luck has been with lighter and smaller green shrimp imitations. I've had very limited success with buggers or spratleys up there.

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Interesting info., boys.........It sounds like steelheading....you can use blades or shrimp or worms or roe or prawn tails, or wool or jensen eggs or rubber worms or gooey bobs, or hardware or etc. or etc....Bottom line.....keep trying different things 'til you fool 'em....Trout are stupid!
Seriously, tho' I have had some great days at that lake when we went in inner tubes, YES inner tubes and paddled down the lake then shorefished with bobber and worms and caught 4 or 5 nice fish every time.......Now I got a 'toon so I can troll all that stuff behind the boat....Ahhhhh ya................Ortho 8)

· Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dra21, you should have no problems launchn a cartopper, just remember to bring ur boots. You'll have to get in the water a bit to get your boat in for sure.
Try the left side around the Islands.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.