BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BigJay, Dogbreath or FM... maybe you guys can help me out. :beerchug:

Who has stock of anchovies now in and around Vancouver. I know False Creek Esso may, but I am not gonna bank on it. I haven't been out locally since out with Jay....(that salmon we lost still haunts me :wallbash:)...just curious where you been grabbing them of late.

Thanks all......headin' out on Sunday. So hopefully TONNES of pics... :confused:

· Banned
189 Posts
Steveston Marine on Fir St has good looking Anchovies tell them to match the Berry's price $6.69/pack.

It's company policy to match prices they have a sign outside that says so but you may have to talk to the Manager before they'll do it.

· Registered
140 Posts
Pippen, and every one else A and N in Langley and I would imagine other stores has some great looking herring, yes not chovies but herring are great this time of year too. They are vac packed, no name on it but A and N.
They work for me....
H/T

· Registered
109 Posts
Pippen:

There’s an anchovy-like artificial bait that some are having success with. Check out www.baitrix.com Several places have them here in the lower mainland. We have it at my place in Langley, Brigantine Marine. However, we’re out of that size – what we have left are herring sized in natural and luminous (for when you’re trolling below 60 feet or in overcast weather).

Can I get into a rant? The herring fishery in the Inside Passage is such that salmon are starving. Where the herring fishery isn’t so intense (as on Vancouver Island’s west coast) the fishing for salmon is far better. We have to address this.

As a matter of course I always examine a salmon’s stomach contents. I have caught several this year with empty bellies. That ain’t good, folks.

Okay, rant over.

MichaelR

· Banned
189 Posts
MichaelR said:
Can I get into a rant? The herring fishery in the Inside Passage is such that salmon are starving. Where the herring fishery isn’t so intense (as on Vancouver Island’s west coast) the fishing for salmon is far better. We have to address this.
FWIW-The Springs/Coho we have caught this year have been some of the fattest fish I've ever seen anywhere.

English Bay is full of feed all the way south to the US border, a phenomenal resource.

· Registered
1,266 Posts
MichaelR said:
Where the herring fishery isn’t so intense (as on Vancouver Island’s west coast) the fishing for salmon is far better. We have to address this
LOL!! Well then Mike, you might be a tad suprised to learn that The Dino has also mined the herring to near extinction WCVI. VERY little spawn anywhere off The Rock this year, and damn near nada for in their bellies the whole season. Damn good thing for pilchards!!! Hope they don't target them next!! ::)

Cheers,
Nog

· Registered
759 Posts
Dogbreath said:
MichaelR said:
FWIW-The Springs/Coho we have caught this year have been some of the fattest fish I've ever seen anywhere.

English Bay is full of feed all the way south to the US border, a phenomenal resource.
That shows you how many fish you've caught this year Dogbreath and how much you get out fishing. These fish are starved. The amount of herring and baitfish around is dismal on the inside, particularly around Vancouver. Prevailing winds ( a lot more westerlies this year) have increased bait populations around Vancouver this year, but relatively speaking, there's nothing relative to the way it used to be.

I think most of the guides around Vancouver would disagree with your statement about feed in general. However, this year has had more bait than usual.

As for Springs and Cohoes on the inside around Vancouver, these fish are skinny relative to anything caught in the Charlottes or Westcoast.

· Banned
189 Posts
fishinmagician said:
That shows you how many fish you've caught this year Dogbreath and how much you get out fishing.
I'm averaging 4 times a week-and you?

fishinmagician said:
These fish are starved.
The fish I've caught are fat as hogs-of course their real weight is always 10-12 pounds lighter than the ones you claim to catch but that's another story. ::)

fishinmagician said:
The amount of herring and baitfish around is dismal on the inside, particularly around Vancouver.
There's always been all kinds of bait around Vancouver going back to the early 70's when I started fishing here.

Not always a lot of mature Herring but juvenile Herring are as abundant as ever, also more juvenile Anchovies than ever.

Check behind the breakwater @ the yacht club next time you're walking to your boat.

fishinmagician said:
Prevailing winds ( a lot more westerlies this year) have increased bait populations around Vancouver this year, but relatively speaking, there's nothing relative to the way it used to be.
This is called sucking and blowing at the same time.

If there's more bait where did it come from since bait is so scarce?

Again I've fished here since the early 70's and the fish this year are some of the fattest I've ever seen-stuffed with food and the fat between the skin and the red flesh (the grey stuff for those of you that don't know) sizzles and spits on the coals when BBQed these fish are fabulous eating and not in any way deprived.

fishinmagician said:
As for Springs and Cohoes on the inside around Vancouver, these fish are skinny relative to anything caught in the Charlottes or Westcoast.
It all depends on the feed-the Springs I've caught off WCQCI certainly weren't any fatter but they were at a different point in their life cycle so the flesh had a different texture it came apart in chunks when cooked not flakes like fish a bit older.

The central coast Coho I love to fish for so much are bigger but no fatter.

· Registered
759 Posts
Dogbreath said:
fishinmagician said:
That shows you how many fish you've caught this year Dogbreath and how much you get out fishing.
I'm averaging 4 times a week-and you?

fishinmagician said:
These fish are starved.
The fish I've caught are fat as hogs-of course their real weight is always 10-12 pounds lighter than the ones you claim to catch but that's another story. ::)

fishinmagician said:
The amount of herring and baitfish around is dismal on the inside, particularly around Vancouver.
There's always been all kinds of bait around Vancouver going back to the early 70's when I started fishing here.

Not always a lot of mature Herring but juvenile Herring are as abundant as ever, also more juvenile Anchovies than ever.

Check behind the breakwater @ the yacht club next time you're walking to your boat.

fishinmagician said:
Prevailing winds ( a lot more westerlies this year) have increased bait populations around Vancouver this year, but relatively speaking, there's nothing relative to the way it used to be.
This is called sucking and blowing at the same time.

If there's more bait where did it come from since bait is so scarce?

Again I've fished here since the early 70's and the fish this year are some of the fattest I've ever seen-stuffed with food and the fat between the skin and the red flesh (the grey stuff for those of you that don't know) sizzles and spits on the coals when BBQed these fish are fabulous eating and not in any way deprived.

fishinmagician said:
It all depends on the feed-the Springs I've caught off WCQCI certainly weren't any fatter but they were at a different point in their life cycle so the flesh had a different texture it came apart in chunks when cooked not flakes like fish a bit older.

The central coast Coho I love to fish for so much are bigger but no fatter.
Ok everyone. Listen up. Forget anything I have said or any advice I have given out. Forget EVERYTHING I have ever said.

Because anything that most of the guides have experienced locally, is sheer BULLSH*T according to Dogbreath.

This board has an expert about fishing and his name is Dogbreath. He's 50ish, doesn't have a boat, yet gets out 4 times a week on other people's boats, and doesn't guide professionally in the local Vancouver area. When someone else gets out and catches bigger fish than he does and catches more fish than him, he calls them liars. He also proclaims to know more about fishing the saltwater than the professionals who ply the waters for thousands more hours than he does. He's also telling the oldtimers and other people on the coast how it is too. Never mind historical data or anything else.

As a matter of fact, Dogbreath disgusts me so much, no point in anyone posting anything which is known to be factual.

I resign my membership because for the love and knowledge of the sport, there's no reason on earth I should be on here posting because Dogbreath is so well connected--he knows EVERYTHING.

Everyone get out on the water and follow Dogbreath because he knows it all.

· Banned
189 Posts
fishinmagician said:
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah.......

I resign my membership because for the love and knowledge of the sport, there's no reason on earth I should be on here posting because Dogbreath is so well connected--he knows EVERYTHING.

Everyone get out on the water and follow Dogbreath because he knows it all.
I share what I know your decison to leave is your own.

There are a number of guys on this board, and on Sportfishing BC, who know me on the water.

They don't follow me nor I them, we share what we know and are having the time of our lives doing what we love. :beerchug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.