BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something to think about for you guys advocating C&R. I was involved in a major study regarding catch and release with DFO using different methods in the Saltchuck. The fish were put in controlled pens for each batch of fish and different methods. The best survival was 90% - flasher/hootchie w/barbless hook (which means 10% died within 3 days) and the worst was 78% survival for fish caught on flies. SO... for ever 10 fish you release AT LEAST 1 OF THEM DIES. It sad but true. I don't know what the answer is but i personally don't do a lot of C&R anymore.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Tofinoguy said:
Something to think about for you guys advocating C&R. I was involved in a major study regarding catch and release with DFO using different methods in the Saltchuck. The fish were put in controlled pens for each batch of fish and different methods. The best survival was 90% - flasher/hootchie w/barbless hook (which means 10% died within 3 days) and the worst was 78% survival for fish caught on flies. SO... for ever 10 fish you release AT LEAST 1 OF THEM DIES. It sad but true. I don't know what the answer is but i personally don't do a lot of C&R anymore.
I'm no math whiz, but isn't 90% survival rate better than 0%? I know you might release a few more when C&R than kill, but still...

Just asking.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imfishing said:
Tofinoguy said:
I'm no math whiz, but isn't 90% survival rate better than 0%? I know you might release a few more when C&R than kill, but still...

Just asking.
Yes, but if the fish are in THAT much trouble isn't every fish valuable? I know i'm the villan for even bringing this up and people don't want to hear about it but i just don't think that C&R will save the fish.My math isn't great either but say you have a river with a 1000 fish and 500 get C&R'd. At least 50 will die - thats a lot of fish

·
Registered
188 Posts
Tofinoguy said:
imfishing said:
Tofinoguy said:

Just asking.
Yes, but if the fish are in THAT much trouble isn't every fish valuable? I know i'm the villan for even bringing this up and people don't want to hear about it but i just don't think that C&R will save the fish.My math isn't great either but say you have a river with a 1000 fish and 500 get C&R'd. At least 50 will die - thats a lot of fish
so what were the main reasons that the fish died ? Too tired ?Bleeders ?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yamadirt426 said:
Tofinoguy said:
imfishing said:
Tofinoguy said:

Just asking.
According to the scientists that were in charge the biggest killer was a lactic acid build up caused from the fish exerting itself to get away. Those fish looked fine when we put them in the pens and then the next day they were toast. Bleeders were a smaller group as the major bleeders weren't put in pens they were retained

·
Registered
578 Posts
Tofinoguy said:
Yamadirt426 said:
Tofinoguy said:
imfishing said:
Tofinoguy said:

Just asking.
According to the scientists that were in charge the biggest killer was a lactic acid build up caused from the fish exerting itself to get away. Those fish looked fine when we put them in the pens and then the next day they were toast. Bleeders were a smaller group as the major bleeders weren't put in pens they were retained
The lactic acid build up from fish exerting themselves too much comes from going too light on the leader. This has been a beef of mine for years. The same zealots who push C&R so hard play a fish to death with a 2 lb leader,and walk away patting themselves on the back for releasing every fish. A friend of my with a trout farm did a study on the survival of fly caught trout and found 98% made it when brought in fast and released fast. The longer a fish was played the lower the survival rate. If you want the fish to survive throw out the light leader and bring them in fast. If they bolt from your hands when released, it is a good bet they have suffered no ill effects. If you have to revive them and they do made it passed the two day threshold, it is a good bet they are still brain damaged.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.