BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you use a 12 wt with a level wind reel? I had a 12 wt L tech saltwater rod in my hand a few hrs. ago and it is so stiff it feels like my Fenwick HMX. The balance might be a bit strange but could you use it in that manner for long casts with weighted spoons?

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Don't see why not.
It might not be optimum.
I've used a pin rod with both a spinning reel and a levelwind before.
(Not at the same time)::)

Go take a few casts with a level wind and your pin rod.
It'll give you an idea.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not an expert here but wouldnt the spine of the rod be facing the wrong way. I remember when building my own rod we had to have the spine the correct way and the eyes placed on the correct side as rods are meant to bend one way better than others. With a level wind the eyes would be on the top of the rod, where as the fly rod is meant for them to be on the bottom.
I'm sure it would work fine, but that is what I was told by a fairly prominent custom rod builder. My 2 cents. Please share if that is just one persons opinion as I am interested now.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Are there two sides to a rod?
If a rod builder put the guides on the wrong side... ?
I've twisted and turned rods playing the odd fish I catch but I think that would be a non issue.
Put a left or right wind on to compensate if needed.
But hear what you're saying.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
First!
That was a good video.
and it makes sense.

BUT!

I believe ORTHO wants to know if he can get extra use out of a rod for an upcoming trip:peace:
More than testing the parameters of a given rod.

I've got rods that'll see no harm but others that will bear an experiment or two:cheers:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, you got it.......I have 2 "not so good shoulders" from my earlier MMA fights and a few bar brawls (just kidding)...I really don't see myself chucking fly's for 5-6 full days, when I can use a rod in my posession as a baitcaster (and catch lotsa fish). The "spine" theory or fact is interesting, but can't I just mount the reel and backwind? The reel in question is a low end Quantum Iron loaded with 80# braid. It hauled a lot of logs out of the Fraser (really) It was paired with a tough Fraser KIng...It's a tough reel for the $$....The main problem is the rules of transport on the airline as a lot of the one piece or two piece are too long to take on board. I am taking four flyrods and I am still hoping to find something to use with the levelwind......The one or two piece ugly sticks are perfect but 4 ft. long (two piece).....I need it to be 30-31 " total...........Ortho

·
Registered
489 Posts
100% of commercial rod manufacturers build on the straightest axis not on the spine.
The blank doesn't care which side has the guides - in fact all the levelwind rods I build are spiral wrapped.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I totally agree that's why I said it should work fine, just wanted to make him aware of the only thing I could see that would cause a problem. If it helps with your shoulders and can keep you out a few more hours, then I would do it without questions.

And typhoon that's a strange rod, don't know if it would use it. But that's one of the reasons I make my own now.

·
Registered
208 Posts
00% of commercial rod manufacturers build on the straightest axis not on the spine.
The blank doesn't care which side has the guides - in fact all the levelwind rods I build are spiral wrapped.
I have built quite a few rods and never worried about the spine. One 1264 I built had a sliding real seat so I could use it with a level wind or with a single action (silex or salt water), and I have used that rod with both setups many times with no noticeable difference with the bend either way.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Spiral wrapped?....interesting. What's the theory behind that?
There are two reasons two consider a spiral wrap for a levelwind rod.
1. To keep the line above the blank under load you need higher framed guides, which are significantly heavier. More weight near the tip results in decreased sensitivity and higher swing weight. With a spiral you can use more guides that are significantly lighter to maintain a nice line transition.

2. When the rod is under load with guides above the blank the rod wants to twist. The spiral transitions the line to the bottom of the blank so there is no twist. This probably has no impact on smaller fish - I think it originated on saltwater boat rods or surf rods for fighting really large fish. I would certainly spiral wrap a Sturgeon rod.

The rod in the picture is a slow spiral, which I wrapped on an 4pc 11'6" spey blank built for levelwind. With faster action blanks I use a simple spiral which transitions in 2 guides.

Note that I did extensive testing with different lines and terminal weight by taping guides onto the blank and found less than 1 foot difference in average casting distance between a normal and spiral wrapped configuration.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Interesting info ....glad I asked. As mentioned this is a 12 wt. rod and apparently it is capable of landing 50-75 lb fish. I will be using it in bluewater 1200 miles south of Honolulu (Christmas Island) It will be paired with an Islander LX4.5 that has a drag system capable of stopping a small car (well almost)....It can handle 250 yds. of gelspun backing and a 90 ft. Rio bluewater express line.......The system is "on loan" so I don't want to break it.
The Quantum Iron holds 300 yds. of 60-80# braid and also has a pretty strong drag system.......ahhh I digress
The target fish are GT's, wahoo, tuna, and black tipped reef sharks and some of these fish can exceed 100 lbs. With the use of this rod, should I hold the rod any differently when fighting these heavy fish or just follow what I have done with gear rods over the last 50 yrs. or so.
I have never broken a rod on a fish, and the only rod I have ever broken was my T & T 8wt. when I was practicing my casting with a new saltwater line out inn the park a few months ago. There are no hooks to set as the fish are very aggressive and with this setup I will be throwing foam poppers and 5-6" baitfish patterns with rod set up for flyfishing, and will be sight casting/trolling mostly larger plugs and spoons along the reef edges
Today it will get a light workout for testing purposes. How does the ambient temperature affect the casting ability of the rod?.......Ortho

·
Registered
489 Posts
Interesting info ....glad I asked. As mentioned this is a 12 wt. rod and apparently it is capable of landing 50-75 lb fish. I will be using it in bluewater 1200 miles south of Honolulu (Christmas Island) It will be paired with an Islander LX4.5 that has a drag system capable of stopping a small car (well almost)....It can handle 250 yds. of gelspun backing and a 90 ft. Rio bluewater express line.......The system is "on loan" so I don't want to break it.
The Quantum Iron holds 300 yds. of 60-80# braid and also has a pretty strong drag system.......ahhh I digress
The target fish are GT's, wahoo, tuna, and black tipped reef sharks and some of these fish can exceed 100 lbs. With the use of this rod, should I hold the rod any differently when fighting these heavy fish or just follow what I have done with gear rods over the last 50 yrs. or so.
I have never broken a rod on a fish, and the only rod I have ever broken was my T & T 8wt. when I was practicing my casting with a new saltwater line out inn the park a few months ago. There are no hooks to set as the fish are very aggressive and with this setup I will be throwing foam poppers and 5-6" baitfish patterns with rod set up for flyfishing, and will be sight casting/trolling mostly larger plugs and spoons along the reef edges
Today it will get a light workout for testing purposes. How does the ambient temperature affect the casting ability of the rod?.......Ortho
The short rear grip on the fly rod will limit your casting distance but other than that I don't see any issues.
Handle fish just like with any other levelwind rod and you should have no issues. With that stout of a rod and 60+# braid you should get pulled in before the rod breaks. As always don't high stick or keep your tension too tight with the fish at your feet.
Sounds like a lot of fun. Christmas Island is on my list...

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'd use it with a bait caster and not even think twice about it. I've used a number of spey and mooching rods with all kinds of reels when I was looking for long rods to fish gear in the rivers. Never had a problem with any of them breaking.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
The spine on a rod was a major factor on fiberglass and earlier graphite fly rods. The latest fly rod blanks are not only much lighter, but the same technology that has led to light weight has also diminished (to almost zero) the impact of the spine (actually "spline") of the blank. At any rate, the stiffness of the spline and it's orientation has much to do with casting a fly line, but almost nothing to do with playing a fish, or any other aspect of the rod usage. Casting a spoon on light mono doesn't require anything like the precision of casting a fly line.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Spine on a rod was first done with cane or bamboo. There is always a strong side to a plant. The dominant wind would make one side stronger than the other. The same applied to arrow making when using reeds or cedar etc.

Glass, graphite etc. blanks ended the importance of that. One side of a blank may be slightly firmer than the other but not that one would notice.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Spine on a rod was first done with cane or bamboo. There is always a strong side to a plant. The dominant wind would make one side stronger than the other. The same applied to arrow making when using reeds or cedar etc.

Glass, graphite etc. blanks ended the importance of that. One side of a blank may be slightly firmer than the other but not that one would notice.
It's called compression and tension wood. Very nice point, WAYVIK.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That's interesting stuff, lads......thanks for posting.

I have done some experimenting with the new rods I have and paired a few rods/ reels.....I found the reel seats for level winds and river rods are on the NOT all the same and the flat surface seat on the fly rods are not compatible. I am going to marry my medium heavy salmon rod with the reel and hope I catch a few 40-50 lb. fish pulling poppers and plugs thru the reef drop offs......If it breaks, I will have some good stories.......'Ortho

1 - 19 of 19 Posts