BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Outfitting ym new boat with Scotty downriggers and want to know what you're experiences have been with spooling on cable wire vs braid on them?

Cheers,
Nick

·
Registered
464 Posts
Go with 200 lb power pro braid, far superior to cable. Very few people who try braid on the riggers go back to cable.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I also agree with braid, you lose far less lead, eliminates voltage on the lines. Also instead of using the Scotty line stops try a larger swivel, never moves never breaks off.

Bret

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey Guys

I am curious as to what the advantages are of the braid over the cable. I understand the whole elec current issues but are there other advantages. I have always used cable,but I am looking to upgrade to a couple of new riggers.

Centerpin

·
Registered
464 Posts
Just far easier to work with on the water. If the line starts to wear a little it only takes a minute to retie a new knot. The hassel of recrimping a new cable when steel starts to fray usually means lost balls. No more need to carry a crimp kit. No getting stuck by frayed cable. If a fish crosses your rigger cable it doesn't automatically mean a lost fish. I've had this happen and the fishing line didn't snap like it would have with steel. I had time to unwrap the crossed line & still landed the fish. No electrical current worries with braid. Less resistance in the water if a 150-200 lb braided line is used. Braided line doesn't unravell off the downrigger spool causing a birdsnest when given slack. I'm sure I could think of more reasons, but that's just off the top of my head.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I also agree with braid, you lose far less lead, eliminates voltage on the lines. Also instead of using the Scotty line stops try a larger swivel, never moves never breaks off.

Bret
I agree with Bret and TheBigGuy

also thanks for the tip Bret on using swivels ,good idea....

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have always used steel cable, but am wondering about a comment on here. One of the posters said "less water resistance".

I prefer to use a lighter weight (8 or 12 lbs). If I've interpreted the comment about water resistance correctly, I'm thinking this means the (lighter) balls might hang a little straighter down, and not swing back quite so far??? That would be a very good thing.

Just checking to see if I'm on the right track here.

thanks, markb

·
Registered
464 Posts
Hi Mark.

If you are only using 8-12 pound balls ypu could probably get away with 150 lb braid. 150 lb power pro for sure would give you even more depth. People that have used the heavy Scotty braid complain that it is thicker and you get less depth with it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I have one downrigger with braid and one with steel... When it comes time to replacing the steel i'll go braided. Why? I don't have a black box on board my board and braided line doesnt conduct electrictiy... I find braided is easier on the hands than steel. I only use 12lb lead balls max and havent had any problems. I bought a spool of 500 feet and used almost half on the one downrigger :) I'm two seasons into the braid now

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Demco......we were running braid last year in Kyuquot as they just switched the boats over from wire....I would never spend time with steel again. That's just my opinion but I really enjoyed the braid vs. wire having been running the boats myself. I had always used steel up until then.....but I was converted.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Hey Guys

When buying a new Scotty Rigger can they be purchased with braid or do they all come with the cable on them?

CP

·
Registered
464 Posts
As I mentioned earlier the guys that use the Scotty downrigger braid complain of more blow back. That is because it is a very thick braid. Power pro braid is much thinner in the 150 0r 200 lb test and it runs deeper than steel cable.

Just make sure you run a rubber snubber on the bottom attached to the ball. This will result in less wear on the line and far fewer lost balls.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Last saturday the only fish of the day a nice 18lb spring wrapped itself around the braid and we got it off and netted it, that's a benefit I never thought of, I just like the braid it's so easy to use vs. cable.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Has anyone used the Cabela's product (braided downrigger line)? If so, any feedback??

www.cabelas.com
Cabela's Depth Trac Downrigger Line
Item:IA-019445
I haven't used their heavier tests for downriggers, but I have ordered it in 45-65 lb tests from them. I found their braided lines to be of excellent quality when I ordered from them. I much prefered it to TuffLine sold locally, Hope that helps a bit.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi All, I just switched to power pro 200# braid on my scottys here on WCVI & I love it. way better & like what was said just takes a minute to re tie any frayed line..cheers.Jamie

·
Registered
316 Posts
2 years now running the braid. I love it. Like others have mentioned if need be (haven't had a frayed line in two years) you can easily just cut and tie a new knot. This stuff is tuff. Knock on wood I haven't had any fray's or nicks etc. but I guess it could happen. Always use a snubber regardless of ss or braid on your balls. I run 12's all the time and have a couple of 15's on board as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
i agree with all the braid advocates. I might have missed someone else making this point but i find the braid to be much quieter as you move through the water - no "humming".

i also found that with braid i am a little less worried about the odd time that the DR line hits or rubs against the boat.

i am also happy to know that if everything goes wrong i can cut away the line and ball much easier with braid.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts