BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chum8888 and I did the trip to Campbell River yesterday to get in on the pink action. Took the 5:15 AM ferry and was on the water by around 9:15. River is running clear, and the fish are in thick. Most are bullet chrome, with the odd fish showing just a hint of colour. River was busy, but there are so many fish, it really doesn't matter. Pink flies were most productive. Some guys were getting them with yarn - but IMHO, the flies outproduced by far. It's definitely worth trying and is a nice alternative to the upcoming sockeye season. Here are some photos for members to enjoy.

BTW - There's room to cast a fly. ;)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Nice pics Aaron,,,,,,and some nice pinks....Lots of fun, I am sure...There are excellent opportunities in the Port Hardy area as well if anyone is heading north.....You gotta give me the recipe for your "go to".....Good to hear from you........Ortho

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm in Hardy now, been here for a week already...and the pinks are just now starting to show in the bay. They were a little late this year, but not bad. Rivers are way too low so they're hanging in the chuck. Fished till dark tonight, but boy are they stubborn on the bite. Fished for 6 hrs and only had a few hits, but no takers. Will try again early am.

·
Registered
853 Posts
The "staple" kills again! Nice pics Aaron. Can't wait until next year on the beaches.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was on VI the last week of July and I wanted to fish for pink salmon on the beach at Tofino on VI, but the beaches were crowded with wave-boraders and surfers so I rest my case there. However on the Campbell River the pink just started their migration and were very silver.
I fished the Cambell near the estuary for only 2,5 hours, hooked 6 pinks and landed 3 of them, all on my #6 rod. That was really great!
That were not the pinks I use to catch up north when I'm steelheading and faul hook them in their back or tail. No, they all took my Clouser regular and gave me great sport!
I did make some pictures, but as I was fishing alone, all pictures are of fish in net and fish beside my rod and reel.
I also fished the Gold River and Ellis River for an hour, but without any result.
Nevertheless, I had some great fishing in beautifull scenery and cristal clear water!
Next year I will go up north again in fall for my queste for wild steelhead.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Nice pics. I found a ladies purse with $1800 in it under that very bridge about 15 years ago while running the river in my drysuit. She was very happy to get it back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts