BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finished work early on Monday and decided to take the advice from the guy who I was working for at the Discovery Mall and headed up to the bridge just out of town. Man it must be nice to live so close to that river. Anyways, I started just downstream from the bridge and worked my way up as some people left. Lots of dark srpings jumping all over but no sign of coho. By the time I get up to the bridge my float takes a dive and BAM fish on. He took a long run downstream, then back up to his hole, then back down again. After about 20-25 mins or so I had a hog at the beach. He was dark but was probably pushing 40lb+ and I was using my med/light trophy with a 12lb leader. He was nicely released in the shallows.

I decided to chuck some spoons around to see if I could entice a ho lurking around the hole. No luck, but the springs were nailing them like no other. Many on and many off on a Koho 45 spoon. I couldn't figure out why they kept shaking off..untill I took a look at my hook! They completely dulled it and bent it. Those spoons have some weak hooks on them, unlike the #1 gammy that pulled in the beast above. I had to head back to the mall to meet with an electrician so I called it a day.

The next day I decided to try the Quinsam, pulled right into the campground, found a hole and started fishing a wool combo that hooked up the day before. 1/2 hr into fishing the float drops again, wham another spring. This fight only lasted 15 mins this time, took a pic of him and released him back to the pool to finish its business. No signs of any coho thier either so I went back to the Campbell and fished the bridge once again. Had a lot on the spoons and wool but nothing to the beach. I though one was going to spool me, just kept jumping downstream until it shook the hook.

All in all 2 days on the river and a great experience on 2 new rivers for me. I think I will be making another trip back to Campbell River during the steelie season. On a side note I might suggest to check out the Velvet Glove (or Voodoo Lounge) if your in the area, very nice....ummm, atmosphere. Not for the young ones! :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
What was the "Wool Combo" that hooked up the day before? I am not much of a hardware guy. Always looking for a new pattern.
:wink:

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey 'Trav....Do they have "take out" there?........... :lol: Ortho 8)

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Hey 'Trav....Do they have "take out" there?........... :lol: Ortho 8)

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What was the "Wool Combo" that hooked up the day before? I am not much of a hardware guy. Always looking for a new pattern.
I was using a bright orange, peach and bright green combo. It hooked up on both days. The spoons were very affective but I couldn't manage one to the beach on them.

Hey 'Trav....Do they have "take out" there?........... Laughing Ortho Cool
I wish :wink: :lol:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts