BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

The "boy" (step son) is living with his father in Campbell River, he has become quite excited about joining me in my steelhead passion. He is always asking questions and wondering what he can use close to home to pursue steelhead. He has hinted he may be interested in moving 'home'; in the duration I would like to get him started on the island. He has a great opportunity to fish what sound to be some awesome and historic steelhead rivers. What he lacks is support from the adults (father and step mother) in his life regarding transportation, I am sure they are trying their best however they don't seem to understand things like a fourteen year old can't get to hockey practice and games by taking transit.

My question is what kind of access does he have to good water without a vehicle? I have heard Campbell River has some good water close to town. He has suggested he can ride his bike, which may be reasonable. Of course it would need to be water with simple or next to no wading, we will be getting an inflatable life jacket for the just in case...

I plan on being over there for a few trips with him, anyone in the area willing to 'join' us for a day to help us find the 'bike' access water?

Opinions on what is a better or more ethical method overall aside (I am using both and he would like to as well) is there more fly water or float water on the water he will have access to? Or to bottom line it, what type of gear should we get him for the desired water?

Not sure if my query is clear, feel free to ask clarifying questions.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Lastcar

I grew up in Campbell River and my brother still lives there.
As for access to fishing, if you can get to the river it is pretty much all fishable. There are some private homes along the river but most of the fishing is done between the main bridges in town up to the Quinsam Bridge.
Stop in at River Sportsman (tackle shop right at the main bridge in town great guys) they will give you all the info you need and they have an awesome tackle selection.

*special note be sure to check current regulations*
PM me if you need more help.

EZ

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Get in touch with the local community center, rod & gun club, fishing clubs, in the area. They usually meet on a regular basis and they would gladly teach / tutor a rookie....Most of the members have cars and probably would love to have him along on their outings. There are lots of people in Campbell River/Coutenay/Comox that LIVE for fishing........Ortho 8)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ortho, never thought of that. Of course in this day and age one must always be fearful of predators. Bears and dirty men! Would still like to meet the folks he may head out with in advance, unless of course it is a group outing. Sad era we are in that kindness, mentoring, and generosity of others must be scrutinized to protect ourselves and most importantly, children.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Campbell has always yielded some nice surprises in the Island pools. However, it is not recommended to wade to these areas as a youngster. Also the dam releases water and it can move up quickly placing you in a dicy situation.The best little river is the Quinsam. He can get there with a bike. He can also ride the trail along the river all the way to the hatchery. It is a great place to get some wading experience. He will learn to read water and maybe meet some great people that may share some steelie knowledge. Best of Luck-- Supersilex.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.