BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a fishing trip with an old friend this June. Thinking of Lund / Desolation Sound area, perhaps camping at the Copeland Islands. Anyone camped in this area before, and are there better spots to camp? Better areas to fish? Any and all ideas welcome. Just trying to put a plan together. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
On the west side of Cortez Island there is a beautiful island known as Marina, the side closest to Cortez has a feature called Shark Spit and it is a very popular camping and swimming beach for the locals. There are no facilities at all, no freshwater, your boat has to be anchored and there are absolutely no fires allowed which means in my book it is absolutely perfect.

·
Registered
14 Posts
As someone else mentioned, what type of boat will determine whether your plan is good - the Copelands have several camping spots, but primarily set up for kayakers. Only one of the spots has a reasonable anchorage directly in front (others are nearby). Further in Desolation there are more camping spots at Tenedos Bay, Currme Islands, Roscoe Bay just to name a few.
Fishing is a whole other issue (you of course know the Copelands are a RCA?)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i'm in a 23 ft cuddy cabin. no problem getting around. Have seen the copeland camp sites and quite like them, but am wondering if there are more suitable spots. RCA is a concern, but we can get anywhere with 220hp. what about salmon fishing? Is the lund area good? Also considered Port Alberni through to the broken islands but have never been and have no idea about camping. Any and all thoughts welcome. Just trying to put a plan in place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, that changes things a bit - with that power, probably depends on if you are looking for fishing as the primary, or the camping. Assuming fishing
:), then have you thought of heading a bit more north, through one of the passes i.e through the Yucultas to upper Sonora? Less camping spots but better chance of a catch.
If camping, then you're probably better off in Desolation proper, in which case the Copelands, Roscoe etc are better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts