BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there are any experts out there that have used leadcore line, your help would be appreciated. I troll for trout using a car top boat and would like to get a bit deeper on these hot days. Someone suggested leadcore. What weight should be bought? Can it be used trolling hardware? Do you need a bigger and/or stronger rod or reel than a regular trout rod and spincaster type reel? What is the rule of thumb for the amount to use vs getting to a certain depth? Does it affect the "feel" of the fish when you have one on the line? Any other info I need to know would also be great. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Well I aint no expert, but I use leadcore line on 2 of my rods when I need to. I find it's nicer when used on say a 6-7wt fly rod, just depends on how stiff the rod is and how much gear you got on the end. I split the 10 colour spool in half and spool up each reel with backing, 5 colouers, then 60ft of 6lbs test mono. Then just hang whatever you want to the end. :)

As far as depth goes, on a slow troll it almost works out perfect that every colour beneath the water is 10ft deep. So string out 3 colours and you're 30ft down. I don't bother going more than five coulours as the drag created gets to be a fair amount. As far as feel, for smaller fish under 2 pound, it definately softens the take. Instead of that quick tug-tug, you gert more of a slow pull, so keep a close eye on it.

As far as weights go, I don't know if you can get different ones, I only use the standard $20 spool. Any other questions I can muddle through feel free to send them over :cheers:

·
Registered
279 Posts
Leadcore line is a great way to get down to fish without all the lead. I've used leadcore a great deal. Like eimaj said 10 feet per colour is usually fairly accurate. You can buy heavier line that sinks faster but I don't recommend it. If your going any deeper than 50 or 60 feet you should be using a downrigger anyway. :cheers:

Just my thoughts, Nates

·
Registered
708 Posts
you can get lead core in 18lb, 27lb,36lb and 45lb test. Most anglers purchase 18lb or 27lb. Most guys use a suitable sized reel and put 100 yards of 10-15 lb line then 3 or 4 colors of lead core. To this attach a leader wheel (27yds) of Maxima 4,6 or 8 lb line and then a small swivel, a 3,-5, leader and your lure.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.