BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am casting pretty fair I would say. I feel the power of majority of rods, I feel the "tugg" in back cast and tugg in forward cast. I am a bit confused on how to increase the length of line. Do you add line on a back cast or on a forward cast? Or maybe on both. Also I throw lately far too many "tailing loops" end end up in line and leader entangled and waste time on untangling insttead fishing.
I will apreciate any possible advidce on How, WHen, known instructional dvds, local instructors etc. Can you please direct me into proper direction?
Thks to all who try.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The best thing you could do to help something like this. I did not attend but there is a free clinic at Cultus put on by local fishing shops. I'm sad to say that you missed this clinic because it was today. :( I would suggest looking for this kind of thing at a fishing shop near you. This clinic was posted through a store in Abby. Around Whatcom road ;) don't want to get busted for advertising you know! PM if you want more info. The trick is to spend time on the water until it feels natural.

April 26th 10am - 2pm Casting Clinic @ Cultus Lake... Join us on the Main Beach at Cultus Lake for one of our most popular events. Bone up on your technique, try out some new stuff, and maybe even win something!
Cost: Free.

Stormin30

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any more free courses

Oh Man , why did'nt I ask earlier????
Any more of these sessions anywhere else??
Thks for any input

P.S. Every time I want to reply it wants me to give a new title etc. How do you just reply ???

·
Registered
875 Posts
Oh Man , why did'nt I ask earlier????

P.S. Every time I want to reply it wants me to give a new title etc. How do you just reply ???
Just ignore the new title and wrtie what you want in the box below.

For me I let more line out on the forward motion because it is easier to watch when your line lays flat and you have to back cast again. I also find you get more of a shoot going on with the forward cast.

By tailing loop do you mean the hook hits your fly line when you shoot at the end? When this happens to me I slow down my motions a little, and also pay close attention to the tip of your rod, often when it happens to me you are lowering the rod tip too much.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Reason for tailing loop.

Wide tailing loops and wind knots are caused from breaking the wrist which forces the fly line off the 10 and 2 o'clock stroke in turn opening up the loop and killing the line speed forcing it to tangle or fall loosly in a mess. Notice I mentioned line speed and not power.;) For tighter loops try locking up the wrist, and watch the line unfold and load on the back haul before bringing it forward. Hope this helps.

Finder:cheers:

·
Registered
258 Posts
I would say go get a fly casting lesson or lessons from a pro. Individual or group casting lessons are very reasonably priced and will help you jump to the next level of fly casting so much quicker.

The free fly casting clinics put on by some of the shops are ok but they don`t really focus on you specifically for very long, this in itself can be frustrating as you don`t really get the help and instruction to advance. Having an instructor who can dedicate their time just with yourself to analyze and teach you is probably your best bet and won`t take up much of your time or money.

Most fly shops offer casting instruction as well you can contact FFF(Federation Of Fly Fishers) trained and certified casting instructors.

Here is the link for FFF Certified instructors.

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/Default.aspx?tabid=4465

Cheers
Nuggy

·
Registered
25 Posts
opening up the loop and killing the line speed forcing it to tangle or fall loosly in a mess. Notice I mentioned line speed and not power.;) [/QUOTE said:
If you've ever seen me cast, the above if a "normal" cast.

Min

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thks everybody for the replies/ Yes most of the times on that last cast forward i watch the line and when it goes forward it does not in that normal loop-up fashion but opposite. Loop is down and once the fly reach mid to 3/4 path forward it hooks the line and winds arround like crazy and just pisses me off. No it is not always the case but if I wantdistance it happens more. If I do not want distance it does not happen. But then you can not catch fish 30 feet infront you in the ocean. You have to go way further like 70-80 minimum.That is my problem. I even know double haul I know the mechanics, I can feel when to pull the line but then do you just let the linew go, or you hold a ring with your thumb and index or any other finger or you do something else.Something I feel I am overpowering the rod. Also maybe I have toomuch expectations from just a simpole 4 wt rod. But I guess what you can do with 6 wt ot 8wt you should be able to repeata with 4 etc.
What do you think??

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Practice casting away from a fishing scenario. Then practice again. Sometimes it can be frustrating trying to practice casting while trying to fish at the same time. You 'll find a whole new element and focus if you take yourself out of that situation and practice off the water. Just a suggestion.

Finder:cheers:

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Thks everybody for the replies/ Yes most of the times on that last cast forward i watch the line and when it goes forward it does not in that normal loop-up fashion but opposite. Loop is down and once the fly reach mid to 3/4 path forward it hooks the line and winds arround like crazy and just pisses me off. No it is not always the case but if I wantdistance it happens more. If I do not want distance it does not happen. But then you can not catch fish 30 feet infront you in the ocean. You have to go way further like 70-80 minimum.That is my problem. I even know double haul I know the mechanics, I can feel when to pull the line but then do you just let the linew go, or you hold a ring with your thumb and index or any other finger or you do something else.Something I feel I am overpowering the rod. Also maybe I have toomuch expectations from just a simpole 4 wt rod. But I guess what you can do with 6 wt ot 8wt you should be able to repeata with 4 etc.
What do you think??

Reread Fish Finder's first post, and then examine your casting. The tailing loop scenario shows up very often on that last big push we use to get the line way out there. It still is caused most often by breaking the wrist, but this time it is because we are try way too hard to drive a lot of power into the line (not speed) and when we do that all the mechanics of good casting fall apart. Remember every cast, regardless of distance, must be delivered with smooth acceleration and firmly locked wrist. If you keep that in mind you will have fewer tailing loops and wind knots.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The best advice I can lend you is to keep to the 10 0'clock-2 o'clock formula in mind. Dropping the backcast or trying to shoot the line out by dropping the tip will almosr always ruin a good cast.....
If you go to the park to practice, just tie on a small piece of red wool or yarn to give good visuals.............Ortho:peace:

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would like to suggested you to go and cast in his pasture. The grass and the Cow paddies are the targets. Hit the paddy like a rock in the river makes it a challenge.
Practice makes perfect.
Stormin30

1 - 14 of 14 Posts