BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home from the Vedder with yet another attempt at getting one of those (apparently) delicious red springs. I know it's getting a little late in the season, but I had a few hours today so I went for it.

I caught one. A spring, that is. I could I.D it as a spring long before I got it to the shore, and assumed it must be a red (thinking it's too early still for the whites).
I was a little taken aback at how big he was, (20-25 lbs) so I was a little suspicious, but he was definitely a spring.

I bonked him, went to start cleaning him, and the frikking flesh is white. :eek:
I promised myself I wouldn't ever keep another white, as I do like to eat my salmon (but abhor the whites).

I only assumed it must be a red due to the fact that it's only Aug 15th, and seemed a little early for the white run. (and maybe a little late for the reds).

So, my question is, is there anything that readily identifies the difference between a white and a red (while they're still alive).
I would have rather have let this guy go back on his merry journey, had I known.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I hear your dilemma, I am no pro on this subject, but I have been told to look very carefully at the inside of the gills -----even better have you ever found a marble spring more common than you think,----very faint red & white through out.
I will keep my eye out for answers as well .great question.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It is possible by carefully lifting the gill plate and looking under the gills, but I wouldn't recommend it. Legally that would be considered fish harrasment if you do that and then release the fish. Some say that whites smell diffferent, but I would suggest that if you really abhore whites, release any large springs in the vedder, or learn some of the recipes that really accentuate the specifics of white spring. They are excellent smoked, or on the bar-b-que with olive oil and cracked pepper.

Anyone else have any great white spring recipes for scooby here?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is possible by carefully lifting the gill plate and looking under the gills, but I wouldn't recommend it. Legally that would be considered fish harrasment if you do that and then release the fish. Some say that whites smell diffferent, but I would suggest that if you really abhore whites, release any large springs in the vedder, or learn some of the recipes that really accentuate the specifics of white spring. They are excellent smoked, or on the bar-b-que with olive oil and cracked pepper.

Anyone else have any great white spring recipes for scooby here?
Thanks guys!
I'm currently perusing the thread over here: http://www.bcfishingreports.com/forums/threads/3565-Looking-to-get-a-brine-for-white-spring ...
I have it filleted and chopped up into 3" wide strips.
I'm going with the 2c demerrara, 1c salt and 1/2 cup maple....
Fingers crossed!

As for the ID... I think that -- yes -- I'll just release large springs.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Typically, the white springs:
- are bigger
- are stinkier
- have huge spots all over their tails
- turn grey quite quickly, and go black-ish the longer they're in the river

Whereas the red springs:
- are smaller
- don't stink
- have less heavy spotting on the tail
- stay chrome longer, and then turn more of a bronze colour the longer they're in the river

These identifiers are not ALWAYS correct, but GENERALLY can help you make the decision. Personally, I've eaten lots of white springs, and find them delicious. The most important thing is taking good care of your catch. Gut/gill it right away, scrape off as much slime as possible, even scale it if you know how. Skin it before you cook it if you're really that particular.

Good luck!
:D
Tex

·
Registered
784 Posts
Smell! Obviously not a perfect way to determine if you are going to bonk a fish or not but it is a very obvious smell that comes from a white. I find white springs to be delicious and think it might be more of a mental thing eating white fleshed salmon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.