BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this came up on a separate thread but it's gotten me thinking...

Last year, we almost set a record for continuous rainfall, what was it, like 50+ days...Now granted that doesn't mean it poured, just measurable rain...We also had the huge flood that changed the course of the river...Hmmm!!

Last year in every month I winter steelhead fished, there were days the river was blown out completely..I spend a number of them scouting new waters etc. and actually found one spot where the fish were stacked and was into 6 or 7 fish landed in about two hours...but mostly I just got wet...

Now according to the graph, last year the water was actually lower at times and over all then this year!!! Now I don't want to hear that the river filled in or the clay banks colored the water and fooled me...I know where I wade the river pretty regularly..Those spots haven't changed...Just the water height...Last year for most of the year I couldn't get out in spots that I can wade across ankle and knee deep...Last year I couldn't cross at the middle pillar at the trainbridge...Last year I couldn't wade pretty much the whole river....

So, what are your thoughts??? Clarity doesn't change the height of the water, Perceived? sometimes maybe but actual flow etc. No...
Anyone else think back and tell me stories about how this year the water is higher???

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I wonder how exactly does the hydro graph device measure the water depth? Ive seen the one at the crossing, I'm thinking its something like a rod thats been pushed into the river bed, then theres a float that rides up the rod as the water rises? The actual measuring device is in a steel pipe that stands vertically. I highly doubt that the graphs are off, I myself remember the water being low this time last year. Its just like steeliecrazy said in the other thread that the water was constantly colored due to the unstable clay slides.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went back and did the month by month. It's was pretty high in Mar, April and May....But it shows jan and into feb at around 2 which is lower by a pretty good margin then what we are seeing and I know I was on the river one sunday with the constant rain and the river completely blew on us..not just color as it's was never that good but height wise..we almost didn't get back over the side channel we crossed on the lower...

Just thought it strange...I'm at work and bored between my yappy customers...Could just be old timers creeping up on me...

·
Registered
901 Posts
the graph is accurate.... it has changed a little since last year but spots fill in... the clay banks were a huge problem last year and its been clear this year, thats why you notice the low water more right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.