BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Canim Lake....need your help.....BAD!

Heading to a friends cabin this weekend....He bet me I couldn't catch a fish in the lake (he doesn't fish, nor has he seen too many caught)....However, what should I take...?? He does have a boat fully outfitted including rownriggers for lake trout if required......His cabin is at the southwest end of the lake.......He says there is lots of fish in Howard Lake, but I told him if it's a lake (Canim) I WILL catch a fish there...Thanks, guys!....PS....I will share the bottle with you ;).........Ortho 8)

· Registered
22 Posts
Re: Canim Lake....need your help.....BAD!

Bring some blue and silver apex or flatfish. Jigging powerbait minnows works too. 3-4" plugs trolled ~40-80 ft has been known to work too.

Or head out at night into about 40ft of water and jig up a burbot with a ruby eye and a plastic or power bait minnow on for flutter.

Good luck

· Registered
265 Posts

Also try tolling small spoons right off the surface but a ton of line out. Worked on Lillooet for me early this year. Hooked 15 fish a morning. I found a mini cop car that has been chewed up.

Cheers, Rob

· Registered
3,796 Posts

Ortho-Green, black or maroon leeches will be good. Take along some waterboatman patterns to use with a sink tip, and don't forget to have a few Tom Thumbs for a top water fly (sizes 14 up to 8's)

· Registered
232 Posts

Use a gang troll (willowleaf) with a pink wedding band on it and a 1 inch piece of dew worm on the hook. Run it off the downrigger in 20-60 ft of water or add in a 1oz weight in front of the gang troll. This has always worked for me when my gf gets bored of watching me flyfish, and wants to try to catch something. Alternately, you can take one of those big mudraker jigs and wrap it in chicken skin, then jig in a few deep spots to see if you can hook a burbot or a laker.

Matt

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

OK.....I am up to three rods and 4 setups....keep 'em coming boys& girls...I promise a share of the treasure on my successful return.. ;)....Hey Rob......I absolutely promise I WILL call you (not taking the 'toon this weekend)..and get that piece of equipment out of your house..........Ortho 8)

G

·

My buddy that has a cabin on the lake has got pretty good at catching the lakers in Canim. When I went with him last year we fished out from an island which is, I would think the south end of the lake and kinda close to the resort. We were fishing in 60 to 80 feet of water with down riggers. Try and find the flat bottom and let your riggers right down to the bottom and then wind up a couple of feet but pretty well bump the bottom. He uses rapalas and swim baits so big that I didnt think that they would ever work, but they sure did.Those lakers have huge mouths and they eat that stuff no problem and troll slow. I think the place to fish was called sand point, ask the resort they have the gas dock. When I went with him we caught some in the 10 to 15lb range and some in the 20's so good luck and post your pics.

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts

My Dad fishes up there Robert. He likes to troll for lakers. He does well. He also gets a lot of bows of decent size on gear and fly trolling around and enjoying the view. I'll ask him what he uses and whether he gets kokanee as well...

Plenty of fish in there, you'll win the bet hands down... :thumbup:

:cheers:

rib

· Registered
100 Posts

Get off the lake if you are in a cartopper if the wind even looks like it might pick up. Canim Lk has a reputation for sudden violent storms.

Lakers to 35# are occassionally still caught in Canim (and Horse). Use a fishfinder and find some pixels on sandy bottoms and jig bouncing occassionally on the bottom.

I will share the bottle with you .........Ortho
How are you proving your catch to your buddy? Big lakers are old fish and are not the best of table fare: you hate to kill a 40 year old fish to win a bottle.

· Registered
97 Posts

100MileGord said:
Get off the lake if you are in a cartopper if the wind even looks like it might pick up. Canim Lk has a reputation for sudden violent storms.

Lakers to 35# are occassionally still caught in Canim (and Horse). Use a fishfinder and find some pixels on sandy bottoms and jig bouncing occassionally on the bottom.

I will share the bottle with you .........Ortho
How are you proving your catch to your buddy? Big lakers are old fish and are not the best of table fare: you hate to kill a 40 year old fish to win a bottle.
I believe his friend will be with him!..If not im sure he will snap a quick photo

· Registered
3,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Breif update////had several violent storms, and fished for about 4 hrs over the weekend. Trolled a bead head subsurface, trolled a gang troll(willow leaf) and a worm, and also put a deep line down with a coyote spoon first and then a Rapala plug...We had two good hits and lost both fish.....so....skunked would be attached to the wekeend..BUT... I did win the crib tounament, held my own in the Rock Star Hero competition, and slept for 30 hrs. in 3 days............Restful..yes, but my friend, Steve is still looking for a fish to caught in the lake.............Ortho 8)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.