BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
low. slow and a no go. We need some sustained rain in a huge way!!!!! the river been this way for close to a month and the fishing has been horrible as a result. on a separate note, Thanks for the Corona to whom ever left it down @ 3 rocks. ;)

· Registered
409 Posts
It is really sad to see a once great river turn into a trickle, and DFO wonders why there is a bad return of fish on the system!!! Hmm I wonder why, when the river is high in the winter like a few years back the river had lots of fish if you knew where to look.

The amount of water coming down is the water to run the hatchery and that's it, hell Brothers Creek has more water coming down it then the Cap it's self!

Tell me you never drank my bottle that I left! Didnt your parents ever teach ya never drink from a beer bottle that looks yellow as you just never know :happy: J/K O0

· Registered
501 Posts
Thanks for the report "theweev",iwas thinking to go check it out myself today,but got busy with something else so didn't go,your report came in perfect timing,thx again hope we get some rain soon. :thumbup:

G

·
was at the cap last week seen a worker in the hatchery asked him a few questoins about last year and this year. last year had a big return he didnt give me a number of how many came back but he was sure this year will be great .told us they already had a couple and reminded us that they would take any steal we caught wild or not there is a number by the mens washroom if you can catch and hold one they will come and get it O0

· Registered
1,461 Posts
danielk said:
was at the cap last week seen a worker in the hatchery asked him a few questoins about last year and this year. last year had a big return he didnt give me a number of how many came back but he was sure this year will be great .told us they already had a couple and reminded us that they would take any steal we caught wild or not there is a number by the mens washroom if you can catch and hold one they will come and get it O0
Shouldnt a brooding tube be used? Otherwise the fish is under constant stress and also the slime and scale loss which will limit its survival after being in the hatchery.

· Registered
1,519 Posts
It is absolutely ridiculous that the Cap hasn't come up with all the latest rain. I believe last year was so good cause we had a lot of rain almost every second day.Great water conditions for them to come up in but this year is the oppopsite. We should be able to hook into a few if we get a warm rain.If it's late season rain then it should produce well for the last month or so! Here's hoping! :cheers:

HR

· Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not hard to see why it's one of the most endangered rivers in the province. The GVRD has only one mandate on that river and it is NOT about protecting or dare i say even maintaing the health of the river, It's a water management project with an out flow system diguised as a river. pathetic!

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
yes indeed. the cap...really too bad that its water flow's are controlled by a company wanting to make a profit. I believe there are agreements in place to maintain a minimum mean annual flow for the system, but if they meet it, it certainly doesn't cater to the timing an anglers desires...

I've been looking for some time now for any and all possible links and data regarding the arrangements and flow regimes between hydro and fisheries...I have some data, and writeups, but not nearly enough. If anyone has any such info please forward to me, I will compare to what I have...

I have not been able to find any dam release schedules or minimum water requirements before such releases take place as of yet, but am still looking...

rib

· Registered
185 Posts
anybody know when the "Fry Tube" will be installed on the dam? i was just doing some research and i found that since 1995 they havent released any steelhead fry below the dam, only above it. so as it stands right now not many steelhead or any fry for that matter will survive the fall, so i think it will be awesome once they get that slide in!

heres where i found my data...
http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/facilities/capilano/fp_hist_fry_releases_e.htm

-fishey

· Registered
1,461 Posts
fishey said:
anybody know when the "Fry Tube" will be installed on the dam? i was just doing some research and i found that since 1995 they havent released any steelhead fry below the dam, only above it. so as it stands right now not many steelhead or any fry for that matter will survive the fall, so i think it will be awesome once they get that slide in!

heres where i found my data...
http://www-heb.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/facilities/capilano/fp_hist_fry_releases_e.htm

-fishey
Isnt it like 90% of the fry die due to the fall at the dam?

· Registered
1,519 Posts
This is why they have a fry tube set up to catch then and then re-release them below it. I've also heard rumors of some great things that are to come for the Cap in the next few years. Let's hope it's for the long haul and not just the Olympics!

Hotrod

· Registered
185 Posts
hotrod said:
This is why they have a fry tube set up to catch then and then re-release them below it. I've also heard rumors of some great things that are to come for the Cap in the next few years. Let's hope it's for the long haul and not just the Olympics!

Hotrod
they already have the fry tube installed????

-fishey

· Registered
48 Posts
fishey said:
hotrod said:

Hotrod
they already have the fry tube installed????

-fishey
What is the fry tube all about?? what is tat actually
??

· Retired staff
6,673 Posts
Above the resevoir is an upper capilano river, (closed to fishing, and public access for that matter), the hatchery utilizes that habitat for the steelhead fry they release. As the fry mature and begin to migrate downstream, they must brave the perils of the drop through the dam. Currently, it is officially believed that a significant enough percentage of the fry survive the drop to continue their life cycle and seed the river. It has been discussed for some time now that putting in an alternate route downstream for the fry will increase returns and the efficacy of the hatchery supplementation...

This is what they speak of...

Hope that helps,

rib

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.