BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been awhile since I got out and went out this morning. Made it to the river by 7;30'ish. The river had risen at least 3 ft over night. I thought OMJG it's going to be a good day. Well mother nature did not disappoint. There was virtually no one on the river so I called my wife to wake my kids and get them down there with their rods asap.By twelve noon we had lost count of how many fish we hooked into. My son hooked a beauty chrome 15 lb spring and an 8 lb coho.He also used a level wind for the first time and did very well. Thousands of fish went by the lower end today. From when I first got there and when I left, at darktime. they were still flipping around and going through.Virtually all fish were extremely fresh and silver. They were hammering the rubber today. At one point there were so many springs it was very difficult not snag them. It was just thick with them.The biggest coho was easily over ten lbs. All in all I was into well over fifty fish.It's been awhile since I've posted a report but just take the opportunity to share this spectacular day!
WHAT A DAY!
IF YOU GUYS CAN GET OUT TOMMORROW IT WOULD BE A GREAT DAY ANYWHERE IN THE UPPER RIVER!

hotrod
all rights reserved

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just drove over the river for my morning coffee and it looks perfect! Hopefully hit it this morning or afternoon!

hotrod

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Congrats on the great day and glad to hear you could share it with your family, looking forward to getting down into Alaska in a couple weeks to get some coho of my own!

·
Registered
225 Posts
my thoughts exactly. have been at the hatchery a few times over the last week, my two young boys are addicted to the place. this afternoon i will be out. now if the cats and dogs would stop falling from the sky( i'm watching them fall out of my window up on the hill here in NV),maybe we can keep the river from getting too high. did all my tie-ups yesterday with the boys so i'm chomping at the bit. :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
sounds like I blast, hoping to fish a little tomorrow, going to head out with some spoons and spinners.....maybe some rubber presentations too, any recommendations?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I hit Cable Pool at about 7:30 am this morning. Fished mostly Colorados in the pool. There were couple of guys fishing the white water below me, and a couple of others in the pool.

I fished till about 11am with not a sniff. Nobody else I talked to had any luck either.

This was actually my first time fishing the Cap. Oh well.

Anyone else out today? Any luck?

·
Registered
37 Posts
No Luck here :)

I went out from about 1pm to 3pm today fishing the mid river, near highway 1. There quite a few anglers out trying their luck. I saw one guy foul hook and release a jack spring, other than that, no fish landed.

I was trying wool, in red, orange, green and pink colours.

Hopefully some others have some encouraging news, I always get skunked at the cap ;)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Four guys pulled 7 fish from the pool I was fishing in the upper river. All were using ROE!!!!! too many of them to do much but they knew I knew. DOUCHEBAGS.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Hmmmm....yes I was discussing this with a friend of mine today...despite the bait ban, some use roe anyways...anything to catch a fish right...?

Another good point was that with the bait ban it almost encourages flossing...pretty easy to floss a fish in the cap at times. Many that don't catch anything using conventional methods like spinners, spoons, jigs and wool end up resorting to flossing fish on the shorter leader lengths by lining the slots and trenches in narrower sections of the river. A double edged sword there...I believe the bait ban was introduced to protect the dwindling coho in the river...I think the stocks have bounced back somewhat the last few years, maybe not enough to warrant a change in the regs I guess...

Still a nice river to fish and explore, hope you all have fun out there...

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Hmmmm....yes I was discussing this with a friend of mine today...despite the bait ban, some use roe anyways...anything to catch a fish right...?

Another good point was that with the bait ban it almost encourages flossing...pretty easy to floss a fish in the cap at times. Many that don't catch anything using conventional methods like spinners, spoons, jigs and wool end up resorting to flossing fish on the shorter leader lengths by lining the slots and trenches in narrower sections of the river. A double edged sword there...I believe the bait ban was introduced to protect the dwindling coho in the river...I think the stocks have bounced back somewhat the last few years, maybe not enough to warrant a change in the regs I guess...

Still a nice river to fish and explore, hope you all have fun out there...

Cheers.
I know how short floating works, as you know, but I'm wondering how flossing with a short leader differs. Just bottom bouncing I guess, or what?

·
Registered
225 Posts
further to my last post. i got skunked. orange/white or peach wool, corkie,jensen eggs. but man is the river in wicked condition. beautiful this time of year. :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was out there twice today totalling 5 hrs. hrs in the am and an hour or so round 4. Managed two beauty cohos and several springs and a handful of jacks. Fish virtually moving through all day especially a couple hour after the tide change. River was still fairly high but a riot non the less. On another note I find it amazing that there were no fish in the cable pool yet. They must be stacking still in the lower to mid part of the river. Can't wait for tomorrow!

hotrod
all rights reserved

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
I know how short floating works, as you know, but I'm wondering how flossing with a short leader differs. Just bottom bouncing I guess, or what?
I will bite on this one.Flossing can happen even with a short leader if your using a weight to bounce bottom such as float fishing through a slot if there is alot of fish stacked up there or moving through.Hence anglers such as Ribwart promoting shortfloating in our local rivers.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Or what? is the order.
any more info would just feed the hords.
If you see intentional snagging (short leader or not) report it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Ribby the bait ban was introduced to protect the summers however the bait wasnt really the problem, the dam is though.

hotrod whats with the "all rights reserved" thing?

·
Registered
507 Posts
It's been awhile since I got out and went out this morning. Made it to the river by 7;30'ish. The river had risen at least 3 ft over night. I thought OMJG it's going to be a good day. Well mother nature did not disappoint. There was virtually no one on the river so I called my wife to wake my kids and get them down there with their rods asap.By twelve noon we had lost count of how many fish we hooked into. My son hooked a beauty chrome 15 lb spring and an 8 lb coho.He also used a level wind for the first time and did very well. Thousands of fish went by the lower end today. From when I first got there and when I left, at darktime. they were still flipping around and going through.Virtually all fish were extremely fresh and silver. They were hammering the rubber today. At one point there were so many springs it was very difficult not snag them. It was just thick with them.The biggest coho was easily over ten lbs. All in all I was into well over fifty fish.It's been awhile since I've posted a report but just take the opportunity to share this spectacular day!
WHAT A DAY!
IF YOU GUYS CAN GET OUT TOMMORROW IT WOULD BE A GREAT DAY ANYWHERE IN THE UPPER RIVER!

hotrod

I hit the cap today after noon,she is in great shape,and fish are moving through in very good numbers,actually one of my favorite pools in the upper,had no one there fish were not spooked,they were just blasting through very fast,i fished spinners,spoons and small imitations of single eggs,tried jigs nadda managed two jack coho that were both hatchery on small spinners,let them go,at times there were 25-30 fish in the pool but they had lockjaw big time.
Just wondering where were you fishing and what method were you using,couse your catch seems VERY impresive mind sharing the trick with the
rest here.
Cheers

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Or what? is the order.
any more info would just feed the hords.
If you see intentional snagging (short leader or not) report it.
I'm looking for information to feed my curiosity, not a lecture. I know the ethics and morals of fishing, it doesnt hurt to wonder, or know the methods of different ways to fish, or "fish". Thanks though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts