BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove out from Abbotsford and tried to flyfish the Cap today for the first time ever. I've wanted to do so for a long time now. Anywhere I tried to fish from the train bridge - up, I just got rushed by natives telling me I wasn't allowed to fish those runs because it was private property. I just parked at Ambleside and hiked as far as I could go without crossing. I eventually got to a spot where the trail led me along the river but way up on a steep, scary cliff so I turned around because I didn't feel safe by myself. I fished one run on the way back and wasn't able to fish any other half decent runs because they were all supposedly "private property." Basically ruined my day.
I'd really like to fish this river again soon but am feeling quite discouraged. Is it really illegal to fish in the area I mentioned?
If so, does anyone have any advice to give regarding access?

Thanks.

· Registered
691 Posts
yes the area between the train bridge and the marine Dr bridge is private property but from the marine drive bridge up to the hatchery is open game.There are a few things you should consider when fishing that river the water levels,cliffs for access to some spots and the tide pending on where you fish.
There are trails on both sides of the river with entry location maps to indicate which trail your at,if exploring I'd go with a friend for safety cause access to some spots are dangerous,as for the water levels ,when you arrive at a location look around and see how high the water is there cause it can come up on you in mins if they let the dam gates open and you could be trapped.Now the tide...if your fishing the lower sections with incoming tides it tends to bring in fish and if mised then mid to upper fishing would be better.

scruffy

· Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for the information Scruffy. I guess it's a good thing I kept my cool because I was irate to say the least and came very close to snapping. :-[ I will not be fishing the area between the train bridge and Marine drive again now that I know for sure, even though I think it's a complete joke. But I won't get into that...
I think the place I turned around at was the cable pool. A steep, smooth rock face on the Ambleside side of the river and some type of cables going above the water. The trail I had taken led me near the top of that rock face and was extremely dangerous. Borderline un-do-able. Even if I was with a friend and we had rope I don't think I would have attempted it. Getting too old for that kinda stuff. :( I could have got further up river if I crossed, but with my luck the water would have come up the second I got accross.
So I'm thinking I must have been on the wrong trail. There's gotta be another trail somewhere. Maybe higher up? Or maybe I just need to man up and cross the river? And is there anywhere to park that maybe a little closer than Ambleside?
Unfortunately, fishing is someting that I don't really enjoy doing with my friends so I'm always solo. I know it's much safer but I don't see it happening so any kind of information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again, Scruffy!

· Registered
691 Posts
Shane said:
scruffy said:
evan said:
yup, you got to be really careful on that river Kristopher! They just pulled a body out of that river last week!
i heard about that does anyone know what happened
Kristopher said:
Thank you very much for the information Scruffy.no problem :cheers:
Was on the dam and he jumped.
wow...that's crazy

· Registered
61 Posts
Shane said:
evan said:
The crazy part was when they lowered the heli down between the trees at the cable pool....tree parts, dust, sand flying everywhere. Even the mounties and firefighters retreated from the platform.
Arent you suppose to be studying?!!!! ;D
well after getting to section 10 of the charter of rights and freedom..my need for procrastination took over again. This stuff is drier than a Saudi Arabia desert, and hearing about people catching fish doesn't help much lol :-[ :'(

· Registered
21 Posts
"...when you arrive at a location look around and see how high the water is there cause it can come up on you in mins if they let the dam gates open and you could be trapped."

Does anyone know if there is a schedule of when the dam gates are opened, posted anywhere... online preferably? Or is there a time of day, or time of year it's done that's predictable... or is it just willy-nilly depending on the daily water level projections?

Thanks!

· Registered
61 Posts
usually in the spring from the snow melt off and in the fall from the fall storms....usually low and dry in the summer. As for letting the damn rip...its pretty much whenever....usually after a super hot day in the spring or a really really rainy day in the fall.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.