BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Capilano river today for Coho :) Never fished for Coho before. There were many others guys on the river, around 4 in Cable pool close to hatchery, and around 10 in Dog Leg Pool I think ... Have not see anybody catching a single fish today.

Those guys fishig in Cable pool. They are so high !!!!!!!!! How are they going to lift coho on those rocks? Poor fish .... What if they get steelhead by mistake ... You lift it, fish will die, you cut your line fish will die. I would close that spot for fishing ... Poor fish ...

Where are you guys fishing for Coho in Capilano? What is the best time for it? What bait do you use?

·
Registered
708 Posts
it's easy to "jackpole" any coho up to 7lbs up the canyon wall. Did for many years with no problems. There are also ways to get down to water level after hooking a fish. Takes a little effort. that's all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
was up there last night too. no coho for me today. :-X
i had a steelhead on for a minute. it unhooked self in a spash.
another fisherman caught a steely near tail of cable and clmbed down the "deathsteps" to lower rockledge and managed to release ok.
also cauhgt a good rainbow. looked like a brook trout, so orange coloured, well spotted.
i almost had a coho on a streamer fly, saw it chase the fly but no bite :p
water was quite high today , all swirlin, lots of eddy
lots of fish jumping near darkness time, around 9:00pm ,fish jumpin everywher you look, then they suddenly stop and there is no action.
better luck next time
also be careful its slippery on those rocks, some dude came to dogleg and almost went splat after slipping on the wet rocky walkway next to the rope."boy its slippery" he says heh.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be mistaken, I think that's because they go in schools in Capilano. In groups .... They jump everywhere, that was agroup of coho going. They stop jumping, it means they went up the river and you simply don't see them anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
nayhkilas, i was at cable pool at that time when i see them all jumping ,there is no where for them to go up stream but in the hatchery. alot of those fish are going to hang out in that pool all summer .they just like to rise to surface at that time. i think it has to do with the light, and not what time is is too.

G

·
lucky m lets hit it up wed night i should be done all my side jobs tomorrow night i need to hook into one its my time

here fishy fishy

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you guys use for bait? I am a real newbie on Capilano :) Looks like evenings are best time to fish?

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I like to use roe bags tied with single eggs, others like to use gobs of roe, both work well. Spinners are another popular item...Be patient, work the areas you know they are holding with determination, sometimes you have to make many passes through them before one will take.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
One thing about these fish is that they are always on the movce and you may have to wait but it can be worth it if you get a school of 30 moving through and when they are moving they are biting. Sometimes when they are still it can be a little work to get them to bite as Rib has said but they will eventually bite if you have the patience!

Hotrod

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
especially when its like 8:00 and light is fading fast and the fishing is awsome and then u need to hike out in pitch black without a flash light or a head lamp, yah thats fun! ;D

·
Registered
85 Posts
father's day is fast approaching and might be the day to get my lines in some water, although i prefer the chilli/vedder and the fraser i wouldn't mind trying the cap. i did a few years back to avail. but i hope that can all change with a little help from you guys experience, i dont fly fish so my options are quite limited. Im open to plenty of advice, dont be shy as i would pass along information as well, thank you.......and to all you fathers out there happy fathers day. :drunk: :beerchug: :cheers:

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you know when gates are open on Capilano ? It says 8:00 am, but it looks like they never close the gates, or open them way before 8:00 am

1 - 14 of 14 Posts