BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... Looking to moor a boat at Captain's Cove. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with this marina. How long goes it take to get out into the Straight and how is the boat traffic in the river.

Thanks for the replies...

· Banned
228 Posts
JREX [hi] Well I do not know about good or bad experiences but can give ya other info to your questions... Dad & I have an ARIMA 16 ft with a 40 hp 4 stroke [boat weight is only 1100 lbs] so we do about 18 mph cruise speed & from Steveston to Sandheads takes us anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes depending on water conditions... So if you have a good powered boat & say ya go 25-35 mph you should get to Sandheads [ where Straight begins] I'd guess it would take you 30-40 minutes. If ya go slower well just add on the minutes. The river traffic should be no problem as the river is quite wide. At times natives have their nets out so then you have to use more caution. What we do is just stay portside of the markers or channel bells[ in centre of river] as we go westbound... the "big boys" tugs ships car carriers truck trailor ferries will stay starboard as they go westbound of the channel bells [ the channel is between these red bells & the north jetty] If ya follow just portside of the red bells[20 yards from them] you have plenty of depth for your boat' draft[ 30 50 ft of water... Sometimes there's lots of sticks small & big logs in the water so keep a sharp eye out. Also if there's a quick out going tide & heavy west winds I'd stay away from the mouth of the river as it can get nasty. At Captian's Cove your boat would be moored in fresh water so that's a plus. Hope that helps alittle. God bless & safe boating!!!

· Registered
140 Posts
In regards to the fresh water ..... not ..... that big Ocean out there flushes salt water way up river way past Capt.s. Cove marina.
What you might find Running out the river is where it meets Georgia Strait .... some times it is nasty nasty nasty with the combo of a good wind and tide flow the river mouths can produce some very challenging dangerous situations, that said I run out of there all the time. Been running the river and the mouths all my life and am still here.
On the Marina it self ....sorry ..not one to judge.
H/T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.