BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tying up some Carey Specials and Doc Spratley's but for some reason my computer won't open the "recipe book" I've made. Searching the Net, I came across a recipe that uses Phentex wool (knitting yarn) for the body of both flies. It doesn't describe how to get the tapered body, but I would assume the tighter you pull the yarn the smaller the taper will be and then ease off on the tension as you get near the head??

Does anyone else use yarn/wool when tying these flies? Am I correct in my assumption on how to taper the body? Will any yarn work or does the Phentex have specific properties which make it more suitable?

Any suggestions/observations would be appreciated

· Registered
1,539 Posts
well, the taper on the body isn't THAT important on these flies. When I taper things I usually combine the number of wraps and differing tension to get it.

I find you can "build" up a body well if you wrap in a slightly backwards direction...but still moving towards the eye of the hook...it stacks up on itself.
Hard to describe. but you know how ribs wrap forwards? do the opposite haha

give it a few tries...builds up nice and smooth

happy tying

b

· Registered
327 Posts
On Spratleys I generally use floss.
I start in the middle of the shank of the hook and work forward 3 wraps and then back past the middle 3 wraps and then forward again beyond the last wraps and etc, etc, etc until the shank is covered.
This gives a wider middle of the shank tapering on both ends, head and tail.
It's nothing stratigic just the way I was taught.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.