BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm looking for some "how to" advice on fishing for lake trout @ Big Lake in the Cariboo region next week. The lake is up to 41m deep and I have a portable fishfinder @ my disposal. I don't have a down rigger, but I understand they may be spawning this time of year. I do have spin, fly fishing, and medium duty salmon gear. If I do need to go deep, I have 000 & 001 Luhr Jensen Deep Six divers. Has anyone fished for lake trout in this area @ this time of year? Any input is much appreciated as I have never fished for lake trout(I did catch a 1kg laker accidentally while trolling a spratley on a sinking fly line many summers ago). Thanks.

--Tim

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have fished this lake many times for Lake Trout. I used to live in the area and spent alot of time fishing there. I still go there at least once a year and I have always gotten lake trout.

You MUST RELEASE all Lake Trout in Region 5 between October 1st and November 30th.

I will PM you with more info.

:cheers:

Rogue

·
Registered
464 Posts
It's a little dissapointing to see guys using PM's for sharing info on the forum. To me the point of having the forum is to help fellow anglers learn new techniques. Perhaps if you guys got your post total a little higher you could post in the members only post section. Then you wouldn't have to worry about thousands of lurkers getting your hard earned knowledge without contributing anything themselves.

That said, I don't mind sharing what has worked for me to catch Lake trout in the larger lakes. I use riggers mostly these days, and if the water temp is warm I tend to fish between 50-100 feet deep (depends where fishfinder is showing). When I don't have riggers I usually use slip weights from 6-10 ozs to get the lure down deep. I have caught most lakers on larger size spoons and plugs. My favorite style plug is a 5" pink pearl color Lucky Louie, or J-plug. Some people prefer the wooden Lyman plugs in larger sizes for lakers. I have done well with metal Salmon spoons such as Canadian Wonders or Clendon Stewarts in 5-6" sizes. Plastic spoons like Apexes in similar sizes also work well. If using weights (or divers) look for a ledge with fairly consistent bottom around 50' depth that has fish showing on the finder. Try to get down to the fifty foot level and troll your gear close to bottom for some laker action.

Light gear may also be used if you feel like jigging for lakers. I have done well at times using a lure such as a 4" pink pearl buzz bomb.

Those would be my suggestions, I'd love to hear how other guys fish the lakers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Just use a a large lure which imitates a bait fish. Flat fish T-60, larger apexs, lyman lures, large spoons, etc. Blue and silver work best for me. Down riggers are good if you have one, if not like BigGuy said slip sinkers are great thats all I've used when fishing for lakers. I tried using a diver once, but couldn't get it to work, but I'm sure if you got it working it would work fine. Depths of 80-100 ft in summer are good, I have never fished them at this time of year but as they are spawning now they may be near the surface with cooler temps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.