BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
came upon this pretty disgusting site just above tamahi yesterday, all told it looks like about 14 sockeye, all roughly filleted, all smallish fish so don,t think they were adams fish from the fraser dumped there, not saying they were not from the fraser but pretty weird to find them that far up the vedder if they came from so far away

looks like these fish could not have been there more than a day, at least one i could tell was a clipped sockeye, pretty crappy if these were caught in the vedder

·
Registered
81 Posts
that is sickening....it happens all the time on rivers but some people have no respect for the laws and the environment.

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Yup probally Vedder river sockeye.Poachers at work there.I can't figure out why they wouldnt keep the meat after going through the trouble of filleting them...just doesnt make sense?

·
Registered
167 Posts
That is pretty disgusting. Seeing how long the sockeye season was on the Fraser, you have to shake your head at stuff like this. I would recommend calling it into the RAPP line, who knows what information the COs may be able to get if they start digging around and start asking questions. My suspicion is that these poachers gutted and filleted the fish later in the day, before someone saw them, which would explain the rush job.

·
Registered
507 Posts
this looks like a rush job for sure,i hope they get busted,good on you for reporting this Glen,

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Great u reported it...doubtful DFO or MOE will give a hoot considering the over abundance of sockeye this yr even if they are endangered Cultas lake sockeye.I bet they wont even have a look,and if they do, really now what can they do?The perpetrators are long gone by now.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Oh man that's horrible. It makes the most sense that they'd be Cultus Lake sockeye, but for the goodness of the run, I hope not.

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just to clarify, Ribwart has some connections and he is reporting it along with a similar find he came across on another flow

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Since there are rules in place to prevent folks from processing their catch at the river many people (including me) bring their fish heads etc back to the water when they have completed the filleting at their place of permanent residence as per the law.

Fish heads and skeletons do much more good at the river than in the land fill although it is best to put them in deep flowing water not in a pile on the bank as illustrated by the pics.

Hopefully this was the case here, although the presence of a sockeye that appeared to be fin clipped is odd.

To me it would seem odd to drive all the way up to Tamahi with Sweltzer fish to fillet and dump, when there are plenty of places to do that in the lower.

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Since there are rules in place to prevent folks from processing their catch at the river many people (including me) bring their fish heads etc back to the water when they have completed the filleting at their place of permanent residence as per the law.

Fish heads and skeletons do much more good at the river than in the land fill although it is best to put them in deep flowing water not in a pile on the bank as illustrated by the pics.

Hopefully this was the case here, although the presence of a sockeye that appeared to be fin clipped is odd.

To me it would seem odd to drive all the way up to Tamahi with Sweltzer fish to fillet and dump, when there are plenty of places to do that in the lower.
I agree Pat, many possibilities here, the clipped fish and the location they were dumped in are a concern though. Pretty much impossible to say why they ended up here, but worth reporting nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Agreed, when in doubt report it. Good on nocoho and yourself for doing so.

Nothing to report up here poaching wise, although I have been stopped by the local CO more times in a month and a half up here that in a lifetime down there. Good to see some areas still have budget left to enforce environmental legislation.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts

Good point, I hadn't considered that. Hopefully that's all that's happened.

I'm going to keep that in mind next time I keep any of my catch. You usually just throw the by-product back into the river, not on the shore?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I saw the same thing about 2 weeks ago at the highway 1 bridge. Just figured that someone disposed of them there as there is a fair bit of dumping that goes on along the dyke. Still a little disturbing to see sock carcasses on the Vedder

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Good point, I hadn't considered that. Hopefully that's all that's happened.

I'm going to keep that in mind next time I keep any of my catch. You usually just throw the by-product back into the river, not on the shore?
Back into the river is better, nutrients still get used and it keeps the stink down not to mention avoiding bear attractants

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
In the water it will get eaten by many species of fish rather than bugs, birds, racoons, coyotes and bears. The carcass will drift for a bit before more than likely getting wedged in some rocks or debri on the river bottom.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Ahh true enough. Will the nutrients in the water seep into the forests? I seem to remember the survival, or lushness (for lack of a better word), of the forests being a prime concern if the salmon stocks diminished. Am I wrong?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts