BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to do some carp and catfish fishing in the Okanagan area. I have a few questions about it.

• Could you recommend some lakes and/or spots?
  • Will a 12 lb fluoro line be enough or they get really big? Alternatively, is 40 lb braid too visibile and would easily spook them?
  • Where can I buy one of those stands that hold a couple of rods? I'm not sure what they're called (perhaps bar?).

Thank you fellow anglers.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I don't fish for these types of fish, or in this area, so will suggest you pick up a "Backroads Mapbook" that covers this area if no one can be of assistance.

I have the Lower Mainland version and have found that it has done a fairly good job of describing lakes in the area -- from what kind of fish are in there to accessibility. In fact, it's such a good resource that I'm going to pick up an updated copy, as well as another version, soon.

:cheers:

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
The boys at Trout Water Supplies can help you target Carp in Okanagan or Wood Lake.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I was spincasting off some rock shelves on Okanagon Lake (Okanagon Centre Road, backside of Winfield) and seen several large carp patrol right off the shelf. Could have reached out grabbed 'em. One was 30"+.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey euroangler. Nice to see another carper on the scene. We are few right now but.....lol

Okay. First off, catfish are not worth the effort in this province. You're not gonna be catching any 50 or 60lbs Wels here. There are two species of 'catfish' in the province I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) and they reach a maximum of about a 12-16" long. There are Burbot (Ling Cod) in the Okanagan but you'd need to fish deep or wait for winter and check the synopsis (as you always should) to see if that fishery is open :)

Carp on the other hand do grow big, and especialy in the interior. And everyone has seen a 30lber...until they have seen a 30lber! Then they know what a 30lber is!!!!

You won't need 40lbs braid. That's just brutal. 25lbs is good enough. I use a flat braid like Berkley Whiplash Crystal. You MUST use rig tubing with this or any other braided line and If fishing at distance don't forget to wet it before each and every cast. It shoots through the rings of my 9ft Chub OutKast and I can comfortably hit 100yds with 2-21/2oz of lead. But you say you have 12lbs fuorocarbon: you'll do well with this.

Make sure you have a powerful rod. Not one of those flimsy Fenwick things or the like. And your reel needs a wide arbour and hold at least 200 yds of line. If you're fishing at 100yds and a big fish runs..you get the picture. Fill the spool to the lip to aid in casting. I see far to many people that have 1/4" or more from line to spool lip. (Yeah, Good luck with getting any distance with that....!)

For hooks use something in the 2-6 size range, wide gape and barbless. You don't need barbless hooks. They are for meat fishing in the salt chuck.

Tme? Evenings are gonna be best. Bait? Well, I'm not doing all the work for you! Just don't be one of those 'A' holes who 'chum'. Their antics throw the natural ballance of the watercourse out.

With regards to the 'bar' you talked about. It's called a rod pod or a bank stick. You will need a front and rear rod rest to go with either of those ieces of equipment. Check out the www.carpanglersgroup.com website. They have a few good tackle shops on there that can help you out. Tell them I sent you :)

If you need more advice on carp in BC message me and I'll do what I can. Alternatively you can pop over to my website at www.dirtyhaul.com and my facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/PatGuertinsDirtyhaulcom

Here's a couple from my local lake this season. I had a 30" last Wednesday and I'm just waiting for the photos from the photographer to come through....God he is slow!

And every one I catch is returned as I have no use at the table for them. Happy fishing!!!

Deer Lake Carp 1 15-06-12.jpg

Deer Lake Carp 1856x2324.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Having grown up fishing in the south Okanagan I can tell you there are lots of Carp in the warmer lakes there, that said I have literally never caught one. They are picky buggers, some say corn is good bait for them but I couldn't tell you to be honest. I always kind of put them in a class with suckers and squaw fish (Northen Pike Minnows to be politically correct) but they are in no way easy to catch like the aforementioned bottom feeders.

The first place I would look for them is below the dam at the outlet of Okanagan lake in Penticton, I used to fish there for trout a fair bit and there were always tons of Carp hanging out in the back eddies, and big ones too. If you figure out a bait that they will eat good on ya!

In Skaha lake you will find them in the shallows along the sides of the lake (this lake has extensive knee deep sandy shallows along its edges) same with the south end of Okanagan, they tend to come up and feed along the weed beds in the summertime, like I said I never really targeted them but not once did I accidentlly catch one either and that was in 5 years of fishing as an early teenager.

EDIT: First post!

EDIT:: Just remembered that there is (was?) a neat shallow pond in OK falls by the train bridge on the OK falls side that always had a bunch of big Carp in it I think I even spent some time trying to catch them once to no avail.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, I believe fishing with more than one rod is illegal here although for carp it should be allowed as few people fish for them, All the english tactics are not allowed here, no ground bait, one rod only and corn is not allowed I'm hearing now? Any way you can make your own boilies or kneed up some bread and mix in honey, oats , cheese, fruit jellow, mushy corn, and boiled bird seed.

·
Retired Administrator
4,448 Posts
Hi, I believe fishing with more than one rod is illegal here although for carp it should be allowed as few people fish for them, All the english tactics are not allowed here, no ground bait, one rod only and corn is not allowed I'm hearing now? Any way you can make your own boilies or kneed up some bread and mix in honey, oats , cheese, fruit jellow, mushy corn, and boiled bird seed.
Corn is perfectly legal to use as bait.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts