BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today on the Stamp I saw an angler legally catch a hatchery Steelhead, it was mortally wounded and was going to die as it was bleeding out... the angler called out to the other nearby anglers that he wasn't going to keep it, he already had one and he wanted to keep on fishing, said its going to die if nobody takes it... There was some hmm'ing and haw'ing, a minute passed finally another angler bonked it and took it home ending his day.

The whole thing didn't sit to right me... if that was me in that situation, I would have killed the fish immediately and sat down and watched my buddies fish for the rest of the day, it being my second keeper for the day. I kind of felt that was a real unethical thing to do... plus I really hate it when other anglers pass their catch to another fisherman. I mean who wants to keep someone elses fish? Especially a Steelhead.

What do you guys think of this?

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
Today on the Stamp I saw an angler legally catch a hatchery Steelhead, it was mortally wounded and was going to die as it was bleeding out... the angler called out to the other nearby anglers that he wasn't going to keep it, he already had one and he wanted to keep on fishing, said its going to die if nobody takes it... There was some hmm'ing and haw'ing, a minute passed finally another angler bonked it and took it home ending his day.

The whole thing didn't sit to right me... if that was me in that situation, I would have killed the fish immediately and sat down and watched my buddies fish for the rest of the day, it being my second keeper for the day. I kind of felt that was a real unethical thing to do... plus I really hate it when other anglers pass their catch to another fisherman. I mean who wants to keep someone elses fish? Especially a Steelhead.

What do you guys think of this?
I agree, he caught it he should have kept it.Was fishing the Cheakimus one time and a angler,a well known outdoor writer caught a steel on a spoon which was bleeding and had to let it go as it was wild and it sunkl to the bottom of the pool and thats where it remained...Sounds like the falls pool is still producing!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I would have kept the fish and been happy that i had managed to take home 2 that day. Otherwise it was better that the fish went home with someone, instead of ending up on the bottom.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Id rather the fish be released and let nature do its part then for some angler to keep it, put in the freezer where it will more than likely sit till its thrown out. Not saying all angler waste fish, but many do. Nature wont let it go to waste.

As well, letting a fish go, gives it a chance to survive.

If the fish was wild, would you still feel that someone should take it home.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Actually I beleive the regs state you are to include in your catch, a fish which was caught, but may not survive after release (bleeding etc)

·
Banned
1,355 Posts
A wild fish caught has to be let go..otherwise the unethical will be keeping wilds saying it was" bleeding" so i had to keep it.For me to see that fish lying on the bottom of the pool was sickening but it was the right thing to do to let it go_Over the years I have seen a total of three fresh wilds mortally hooked and lying at the bottom of the river.Unfortunately it sometimes happens.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
We may have covered this in the past, but how is a fish mortally wounded? Is it just me that is asking this? I ask because I have caught a lot of steelhead in slow water, fast water, fished with guides, bushwacked into remote streams, and I honestly cannot recall mortally wounding a fish. Can't say I ever recall having what is referred to as a "bleeder".I am sure some fish I have caught may have have died from any number of causes, and they may very well have ended up on the river floor, but with that said, almost all bleeders are caused by barbed hooks, IMHO...........Ortho

·
Registered
208 Posts
I dont have a problem with the angler offering the fish to other anglers, but if i were doing it I would keep the fish if there werent any takers and stop fishing. I think saying you are going to put it back when it was obviously going to die just guilted someone into taking it as they didnt want to see it go to waste. Seems a bit selfish.

I had one unclipped fish on the vedder a few years back take the hook (Barbless) way down and damaged the gills. it was bleeding quite a bit. It swam away but I dont think it would have survived. I felt bad, as I would have taken it home if it were hatchery, but nothing I could do. The CO's wont accept an excuse of "it was going to die anyhow" for having an unclipped steelhead in your posession!

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
... almost all bleeders are caused by barbed hooks, IMHO...........Ortho
Not always my Friend. Over the years I have seen perhaps a dozen that were hooked deep, or the hook simply punctured a mainline in the tongue etc, which have died due to hooking. Fishing, even C&R, is a Blood Sport. Some are going to die regardless of how much we try not to let that occur. While the numbers are small (~ 5%) it can, and does occur. Experience helps, but isn't the only answer here. Sometime $hit Happens, goes with the territory.

As far as the report that initiated this thread: The angler hooked, played and landed the fish in question. Then he "gave" his catch away. Definitive words "His Catch". What he did contravenes the Regs. The fellow did realize his catch limit. Regardless of whether or not he then "gave" the steelhead to another, he was, in fact, limited out. Were the local CO to have witnessed this, there is every possibility a fine may have incurred. At the least, the fellow would have been directed to retire from the river. Keep it, or toss it back. Nothing is wasted out there, and even should that particular fish have expired (as was the guess) it was a hatchery, therefore considered "expendable". And it's nutrients would continue to feed a host of species that reside in the river, adding to it's productivity.

Unethical and unlawful. I likely would have told him so.

Cheers,
Nog

·
Registered
327 Posts
If it were me who caught that fish? I would have bonked it and sat on shore watching my buddies fish for the rest of the day, no question. So what your done fishing for the day, your still out on the river with your friends and have two steelies in your truck. And that sounds like a pretty good day to me.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Thanks, 'Nog....I know you have caught a mittful of our square tailed quarry in your life....I guess I have been lucky. I did hook a couple of trout fishing stillwater in the Okanagan last spring that almost hung themselves on the leach I was trolling, but generally, I tend to bring my fish very carefully to hand to avoid problems and so far like |I said...I've been lucky...........Tight lines.....Ortho

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is exactly how I feel, the catch was his regardless of whether he gave it to another angler. The DFO should make it mandatory that if you want a Steelhead stamp you should have to write a test on your knowledge of the steelhead regulations. There are far too many anglers out there that don't know the regs... although you do need a lot of experience to be able to decipher the true meaning of the regs, its not like all of it is written that clearly. What do you think about the DFO making some kind of knowledge test before selling you a Steelhead stamp for your license?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think the easiest answer is to have all rivers with a hatchery program in B.C. waters have a one steelhead retention put on them (hatchery of course). Just like the majority that have them already. That way it makes your decision a lot easier when it comes time to tag out. Now having said that there will always be those that will be of the minority and do something stupid like release a hatchery that in their mind did not meet the grade even though it is going to die because of a fatal hooking. its just too bad not everyone was gifted with a brain.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Is it just me that is asking this?
I asked also but never got an answer.

...almost all bleeders are caused by barbed hooks, IMHO...........Ortho
How does a barb on the hook affect where the point of the hook ends up when a fish gets hooked?

The angler hooked, played and landed the fish in question. Then he "gave" his catch away. Definitive words "His Catch". What he did contravenes the Regs. The fellow did realize his catch limit. Regardless of whether or not he then "gave" the steelhead to another, he was, in fact, limited out. Were the local CO to have witnessed this, there is every possibility a fine may have incurred. At the least, the fellow would have been directed to retire from the river. Keep it, or toss it back. Nothing is wasted out there, and even should that particular fish have expired (as was the guess) it was a hatchery, therefore considered "expendable". And it's nutrients would continue to feed a host of species that reside in the river, adding to it's productivity.

Unethical and unlawful. I likely would have told him so.

Cheers,
Nog
I agree and this is why people need to learn to understand the regs. People could sit there and read them for days, but without the common sense to actually understand what they mean its hopeless.

That is exactly how I feel, the catch was his regardless of whether he gave it to another angler. The DFO should make it mandatory that if you want a Steelhead stamp you should have to write a test on your knowledge of the steelhead regulations. There are far too many anglers out there that don't know the regs... although you do need a lot of experience to be able to decipher the true meaning of the regs, its not like all of it is written that clearly. What do you think about the DFO making some kind of knowledge test before selling you a Steelhead stamp for your license?
Why just a test to get a steelhead tag? There should be a test to get a license period. Fishing is hunting and a test is required to hunt where species identification and such is covered and tested on. Just think of all the problems that a test would solve for the sport of fishing... oh where to begin.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Id rather the fish be released and let nature do its part then for some angler to keep it, put in the freezer where it will more than likely sit till its thrown out. Not saying all angler waste fish, but many do. Nature wont let it go to waste.

As well, letting a fish go, gives it a chance to survive.

If the fish was wild, would you still feel that someone should take it home.
I'm for following the regs, so the answer to your question is 'no' and anglers that waste their catch are foolish!

·
Registered
18 Posts
you know not all fish are dead just because they are bleeding, I mean I've seen people play fish to oblivion, and drag them up the bank in the sand, and tail them with wool gloves, hold them out of the water for many minutes, and even though some of these fish undoubtedly died later as do some bleeders they don't all die, a lot of fish are quite tough and able to tolerate a lot, just look at the physiological changes that occur in the spawning process alone so it's ok to let them go, it is not a "waste", more people "waste" fish by keeping too many and leaving them in their freezer for too long, at least a fish that dies in the river feeds rearing fish

1 - 20 of 24 Posts