BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

do you know if it is allowed to give what you catch to the frustrated fisherman next to you who is asking for it since he didn't catch anything all day and he really wants to take a salmon back home? I mean allowed by law (not interested in ethical opinions). And if this is ok, should I or him report it on the license?

Giuseppe
 

· Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
or may be you can... nothing here http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Law/restrictions_e.htm

closest I could find is this

- buy, sell, barter or attempt to buy, sell or barter any fish caught by sport fishing.

barter for a big smile :thumbup:

definitely he should report on his license I think if you give him a fish, remember only adult chinooks should be reported, not every single one.

hmmmm, what is adult on Vedder? more than 50 cm or more than 62, I know on Fraser it is more than 50 cm
 

· Banned
Joined
·
2,854 Posts
I have given fish to other people before on the river when they arent having luck. only difference is i make them bring them in themselves though :happy: on my gear i dont care, if they lose it, oh well i guess its just not meant to be :happy: I think i have only ever given a fish to someone that i had already killed once many years ago and for the life of me i cant remember why :confused:

I have however given lots of roe away over the years :wallbash: which i wont be doing anymore unless its going to someone i know closely.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nayhkilas said:
or may be you can... nothing here http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/Law/restrictions_e.htm

closest I could find is this

- buy, sell, barter or attempt to buy, sell or barter any fish caught by sport fishing.

barter for a big smile :thumbup:

definitely he should report on his license I think if you give him a fish, remember only adult chinooks should be reported, not every single one.

hmmmm, what is adult on Vedder? more than 50 cm or more than 62, I know on Fraser it is more than 50 cm
I read it to, and not found anything about that on the web either. I guess I can make it up for the next person asking for it ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
417 Posts
HOOK said:
couple years back i had 9 red springs on my licence but never did get that last one and didnt bonk any whites :thumbup: sure was a yummy summer and early fall :cheers:
that's what I hope for too HOOK. Few reds and few sockeye in freezer for yummy summer and early fall. Cannot eat fish all the time, I like real meat - beef or lamb :beerchug:
 
Joined
·
243 Posts
Giuseppe said:
do you know if it is allowed to give what you catch to the frustrated fisherman next to you who is asking for it since he didn't catch anything all day and he really wants to take a salmon back home? I mean allowed by law (not interested in ethical opinions). And if this is ok, should I or him report it on the license?
It says in the on line regs on page 11 that if someone catches a fish and gives it to you you need to keep a signed letter from them with their name, adress and telephone number as well as the number, size and species and to top it all off, when and where the fish were caught.

Seems like a lot of work to give someone a fish and sounds like the person who gives the fish has to mark it on their licence.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
265 Posts
Giuseppe said:
hey guys,

do you know if it is allowed to give what you catch to the frustrated fisherman next to you who is asking for it since he didn't catch anything all day and he really wants to take a salmon back home? I mean allowed by law (not interested in ethical opinions). And if this is ok, should I or him report it on the license?

Giuseppe
You can hook the fish and hand off you rod. You can wind it in a bit but not to the beach and then pass it off. We do this as some days you just have bad luck. I know this as I fish with a DFO buddy.

Cheers, Rob
 

· Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Marsman said:
Giuseppe said:
hey guys,

do you know if it is allowed to give what you catch to the frustrated fisherman next to you who is asking for it since he didn't catch anything all day and he really wants to take a salmon back home? I mean allowed by law (not interested in ethical opinions). And if this is ok, should I or him report it on the license?

Giuseppe
You can hook the fish and hand off you rod. You can wind it in a bit but not to the beach and then pass it off. We do this as some days you just have bad luck. I know this as I fish with a DFO buddy.

Cheers, Rob
This sounds very reasonable in order to avoid the crazy bureaucracy .

have a good one.

Giuseppe
 

· Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
There is a reason why its called fishing and not catching, if the guy next to you doesnt get anything well better luck next time. it may seem a bit of a hard ass thing for me to say, but i go out lots and dont catch anything and i dont expect some dude beside me to give me his rod because im not catching anything. thats all parts of the game were trying to play, you dont always hook into fish so you go out the next day and play again.

I know people are trying to be nice out there, but what if you hook into a bunch of springs and the guy next to you isnt getting s**t so you decide to hand off your rod to him and snap !! he breaks your rod.... Now what happens ??

Kryptonite said:
Giuseppe said:
do you know if it is allowed to give what you catch to the frustrated fisherman next to you who is asking for it since he didn't catch anything all day and he really wants to take a salmon back home? I mean allowed by law (not interested in ethical opinions). And if this is ok, should I or him report it on the license?
It says in the on line regs on page 11 that if someone catches a fish and gives it to you you need to keep a signed letter from them with their name, adress and telephone number as well as the number, size and species and to top it all off, when and where the fish were caught.

Seems like a lot of work to give someone a fish and sounds like the person who gives the fish has to mark it on their licence.
It is alot of work for what ?? now you have to carry a notebook around and write letters to people becuase you spend a hard day of fishing and you hand over your fish to someone else ... forget it

If the guy next to me isnt catching fish, Instead of handing over my gear or giving my fish away, I usually take some time away from fishing, and help the guy setup his gear and tell him where the fish are (If they are there LOL !!) If there is lots of fish biting in a certain area, I will usually stop fishing for a while and let the guy next to me have a chance with a little bit of my help if he needs it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I said in my original post "not interested in ethical opinions". And I said that because we are all different and interact with people differently. Please keep big lectures for your self next time, I personally do not need them. :beerchug:

Giuseppe
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
What I don't get is why is it always kill as many fish as you can type of attitude out there? People always gotta take fish home, it is cheaper to go to a grocery store now a days and buy a fish. Heck its even gutted, head off, and even filleted if you want it like that. If you're gonna give a person a fish to take home that you have caught, it has to be tagged on your license (if required to do so), the receiver of the fish gets a note with the details mentioned already.

If you're out there fishing steelhead, kill one, then give it away to a person you can't start fishing again after your fish has "disappeared" because that is still your fish until it is consumed by the individual and counts towards your daily limit. Same goes for sockeye and springs, you cant bring every relative that you know out to a bar and give away all your fish to them, as those fish count towards your daily limit also.

For more questions towards regulations check out BOTH of these sites as it is your responsability as an angler to know the regs before you fish any waters.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/2008/fish-synopsis_2008-09.pdf

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/default_e.htm
 

· Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shane said:
What I don't get is why is it always kill as many fish as you can type of attitude out there? People always gotta take fish home, it is cheaper to go to a grocery store now a days and buy a fish. Heck its even gutted, head off, and even filleted if you want it like that. If you're gonna give a person a fish to take home that you have caught, it has to be tagged on your license (if required to do so), the receiver of the fish gets a note with the details mentioned already.

If you're out there fishing steelhead, kill one, then give it away to a person you can't start fishing again after your fish has "disappeared" because that is still your fish until it is consumed by the individual and counts towards your daily limit. Same goes for sockeye and springs, you cant bring every relative that you know out to a bar and give away all your fish to them, as those fish count towards your daily limit also.

For more questions towards regulations check out BOTH of these sites as it is your responsability as an angler to know the regs before you fish any waters.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/2008/fish-synopsis_2008-09.pdf

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/recfish/default_e.htm
Ok, thanks for the lecture!

Giuseppe
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top