BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm thinking to go and catch some crabs. But I have several questions before I'll go.

1. Where can I find regulations on catching crabs? I hope there are some.
2. Can I catch crabs now in the area 28 (28-11)?
3. What are the crabs keeping quotas and size restrictions?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So as I found out, in the area 28 I can catch and keep up to two Dungeness crabs measure not less than 165mm and two Red Rock crabs measure not less than 115mm.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
So as I found out, in the area 28 I can catch and keep up to two Dungeness crabs measure not less than 165mm and two Red Rock crabs measure not less than 115mm.
You may wanna have a closer look at the regs that BGM shared with you. ;) Your aggregate (total) max is 4 crabs....and they can ALL be either species; 4 dungeness is just fine.

Be sure to study those regs carefully as you already misread the limits......ensure you have the right gear. http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/points/shellfish-coquillages-eng.html

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
That's 4 per licence, Eugen. So if you have more than one licenced fisher-person you can take more. I know you were talking about taking your son. A child under 16 needs a Tidal Licence but it is FREE.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks arrgh! for the hint. I didn't know my kids actually need to have a license. Will get licenses for them. Probably it's to keep records on their catch though.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
Thanks arrgh! for the hint. I didn't know my kids actually need to have a license. Will get licenses for them. Probably it's to keep records on their catch though.

Only in TIDAL waters, Eugen. In NON-TIDAL:Children who are under 16 and a resident of British Columbia may sport fish without any licence or stamp but must abide by the regulations. Children who are under 16 and not a resident of BC may sport fish without any licence or stamp provided they are accompanied by a person 16 years or older who holds the appropriate licences and stamps.

Like I said, it can be confusing especially if English is not your native language.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just wondering if anybody has had any decent hauls out of the Indian Arm area.

Trying to figure out if it's my set up, or the commercial guys vacuumed everything up.

Stainless steel traps, 8 hour soaks, bait: salmon heads, chicken necks, can of cat food (one time only).

Trying different spots and different depths between 50 - 80 feet.

Usually pull up about 8 - 10 crabs per pot, but almost all are female or undersize.

Not looking for secret spots, just wanting to know if they are out there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Have to chuckle at the thread header.."Catching Crabs"--sounds like a Vegas affliction...

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Depends on when you drop them as well and if your at tide change, the scent of your bait will travel to or fro.
Droping at slack and pulling shortly after will only draw the crabs in the immediate area, depending on whether or not others have scented the area with their traps and or pulled them (the crabs) out already.
If your tossing your traps off of a dock that is frequently crabbed from, at 2 in the afternoon on a slack tide on a sunny day....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Several times I have dropped a underwater camera down with my trap. Often after about 20 minutes crabs have already entered the trap, especially if there is a good tidal flow. Many times the crabs escape the trap, elastic bands on the doors (depending on what kind of trap you have) help. But most important is to make sure you have enough bait that they can keep eating. That will keep them in the trap for hours. I have seen some of the smarter crabs lift the door. One crab climbed up and happened to hit the off button on the camera....guess he did not like his picture taken!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts