BC Fishing Reports banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every now and then I'll see some families or single people show up down at the Vedder, grab some worms and quickly max out on their 4 "hatchery trout".
The worst of this was probably about a month ago when the river seemed to be teeming with them. The fish these guys are catching and keeping are only about 6 - 8 inches long, definately missing their adipose fin, and looking like little rainbows. they'd pull them in with almost every cast.

Are these not, in fact, hatchery steelhead?
Wouldn't it be best to let these little guys swim off and do the whole ocean thing?
Are these guys just being ignorant? Whats the deal?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Next time you see this happening phone the RAPP line.
The fish are undersized no matter what they are.
Here is an excerpt from the regs.

2 from streams or sloughs
Note: There is no general minimum
size limit for trout in lakes
and you must release
ⓦ Wild trout/char from streams or
sloughs (EXCEPT streams that
flow into tidal waters north of
and including Jervis Inlet)
ⓦ ALL WILD STEELHEAD
ⓦ Trout/char under 30 cm from
streams or sloughs

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Until they leave the river and head into salt water, those fish (no matter who their parents are) are rainbow trout. If they have no adipose fins, they are "hatchery trout". That said, it is illegal to keep any trout (wild or hatchery) from streams or rivers under 30 cm (11 3/4"). Feel free to point that out to anyone retaining 6"-8" fish, adipose or not. They are poachers, plain and simple.

·
Registered
911 Posts
whoa whoa whoa before we call Rapp, the regs on the Vedder clearly states hatchery trout of ANY length 50 cm or less: daily quota 4. It used to be 30 cm then it dropped to 20 cm then they removed the size restrictiona few years ago. This only applies to the vedder, not trib streams
Cheers,
Crazy D

·
Registered
911 Posts
I agree, grow in up on the Vedder I can remember when it was a 2 fish, 30 cm plus reg and the average r bow was 30 plus, pressure gets greater and the size limit gets smaller go figure
Crazy D

·
Registered
911 Posts
Writre it off to Fall Fishing Fever,thats my excuse for most things and I'm sticken to it :cheers:
Crazy D

·
Registered
455 Posts
Date and location Matter. Carefull read required ???

Chilliwack / Vedder Rivers

* 2-4
● Above and including Slesse Creek (does not include Sumas River)

● ● Below Slesse Creek to Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) closed May 1-June 30;
(see map on page 37) (b) hatchery rainbow trout of any length 50 cm or less: daily quota = 4,
July 1 - Apr 30; (c) hatchery steelhead daily quota = 1, year round

● ● ● ● Below Vedder Crossing bridge: (a) fly fishing only, bait ban, hatchery
rainbow trout release (50 cm or less), and hatchery cutthroat
release, May 1-31; (b) closed June 1-30; (c) hatchery rainbow trout of
any length 50 cm or less: daily quota = 4, July 1-Apr 30 ;
(d) hatchery steelhead daily quota = 1, year round

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.