BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to prepare ikura or caviar.I want to use something else with my pimk egg other than curing it.

trout

·
Registered
452 Posts

It's in Japanese, but it's a video so I think all the key pieces are in place. I do the same thing and it works for me. Well, technically, Japanese wife does what is described in the vid and it works for us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
soak the skeins in hot water (not boiling), this loosens the roe from the membrane. you will need to pick all the white bits out until you have just roe. drain well, salt with non iodized sea salt about 1 tsp per skein, mix well and put it covered in the fridge for 20 min. drain again, salt again and it's good to go. can be kept in the fridge for a couple months at least.

·
Registered
452 Posts
soak the skeins in hot water (not boiling), this loosens the roe from the membrane. you will need to pick all the white bits out until you have just roe. drain well, salt with non iodized sea salt about 1 tsp per skein, mix well and put it covered in the fridge for 20 min. drain again, salt again and it's good to go. can be kept in the fridge for a couple months at least.

Yes - with one cautionary note. If the water's too hot, the eggs will start to cook and turn white, so I'm really careful to avoid this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts