BC Fishing Reports banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished chehalis today, below the hatchery. Hooked 5 coho, only beached one. Most were fairly turned, but the first one I lost was still fairly silver. The last heavy rain made some beautiful sections of water below the easter seals run. Very fishy looking water :wink:

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Sounds good, I'll have to make a trip there after the boxing day derby!! The steelies should be in there right now!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
Thanks for the report chris...I guess that water below easter seal is bit more accessible now too huh?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I have talked to a few guys who said that all of the major flows have pushed all of those log jams out of the way. Rib, we have some more exploring to do!

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
I can hardly wait, I have wanted to explore that water down there for some time, but keep putting it off....I few early season trips are coming up for sure... :wink:

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yup its a little more accessible for the most part, there's a few tricky parts, but its worth it. :D

·
Registered
211 Posts
Where to go on the Chehalis

Where is the access point to fish the Chehalis? I used to camp up there but never fished it. I would like to go exploring some time. Thx

·
Retired staff
6,684 Posts
There are many access points elvis...I would suggest driving up the road that the hatchery is on, keep going past the hatchery till you get to the one lane bridge...park on either side there and explore a little. That's a good place to start.

·
Registered
917 Posts
In search of steel, found black and red

Gave the Chehalis a try this morning, searching for some early steel. Nothing up at the canyon entrance or ES run. Boy the water is sure not very fly friendly up there any more! Went for a nice walk down below the hatchery and found a bunch of boot coho. There were a couple of guys keeping black coho! :oops: I talked to one of them and he said that they were very good - pan fried! I think those fish were more than done already!

On another note, I had a coho doe rise up and attack my float! I've never seen that before. Sure, I've had trout take a swipe at a strike indicator. But a coho taking a bite out of the float? I couldn't believe it! Also saw one coho dash from under a log and steal my roe. No hook-up. Pretty neat to see though. :lol: However, seeing only tomatoes and black fish, we soon found the fishing pretty "pointless" there. No sign of any steel...

Had a nice lunch at the "Squatch". Overall, it was a very enjoyable day. Lots of hiking! :D

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Well at least you seen some fish there Flyfishin Magician! hoprfully the steel are comming soon!

C.K.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Easter Seal Run????

Hey, I fished this river for the first time just a 2 weeks ago. (what a gem!) We hiked over the mountain into the Canyon (spectacular). I have heard on countless occasion of this Easter Seals Run. I'm assuming this is south of the bridge? Can someone confirm this for me please. Also are the more fishable areas south of the bridge?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
You are right, Easter seal is south of the bridge and there are countless areas to fish below the bridge too.

·
Banned
2,859 Posts
thats funny you would say that FFM

i have had coho, springs, and even a steely last year attack my float ! ! ! :shock: :shock:

the spring was this year was really weird cause he would not let it go either till i rip it away from him HA HA HA

and the steely was late march season this year and it scared the crap out of me cause i was so concentrated on that float :lol: :lol: of course not hooking it was a good burn

and yes the only coho i have ever had that happen with was at the Chehalis only once or twice a couple years back when the fishing was better sure trips you out the first time doesnt it LOL

hey FFM you gonna be out boxing day for steel?? with your buddy FF

tight lines

HOOK

·
Registered
8 Posts
certainly is a new river to explore below what 'used to be' the easter run. a little walking and climbing over the massive log jams yields some nice pools and undercut banks. my efforts on monday brought two bright, wild, coho jacks to hand on chartreuse patterns but no sign of steelhead despite the fishy water. beware the soft underwater sand drifts that have accumulated around the new log jams. the new swath the river has carved is best explored with a buddy because you'll be tempted to cross it regularly.

·
Banned
279 Posts
Re: In search of steel, found black and red

Flyfishin Magician said:
Gave the Chehalis a try this morning, searching for some early steel. Nothing up at the canyon entrance or ES run. Boy the water is sure not very fly friendly up there any more! Went for a nice walk down below the hatchery and found a bunch of boot coho. There were a couple of guys keeping black coho! :oops: I talked to one of them and he said that they were very good - pan fried! I think those fish were more than done already!

On another note, I had a coho doe rise up and attack my float! I've never seen that before. Sure, I've had trout take a swipe at a strike indicator. But a coho taking a bite out of the float? I couldn't believe it! Also saw one coho dash from under a log and steal my roe. No hook-up. Pretty neat to see though. :lol: However, seeing only tomatoes and black fish, we soon found the fishing pretty "pointless" there. No sign of any steel...

Had a nice lunch at the "Squatch". Overall, it was a very enjoyable day. Lots of hiking! :D
Any water flowing down the hatchery yet?

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I think it would be a little early on the chehalis for steelies, does anyone agree!? I know the vedder will have them now though, give it a try there. They are fresh fish and haven't seen alot, so go big and fast or go home!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
young gun said:
I think it would be a little early on the chehalis for steelies, does anyone agree!? I know the vedder will have them now though, give it a try there. They are fresh fish and haven't seen alot, so go big and fast or go home!
I disagree, there will be some in there if you know where to look, not huge numbers but there will be some...

Mike <"))))))><

1 - 20 of 39 Posts